News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SD cap help

Hello,

I've had this cap since about the mid 80s, it was one of the first pieces of militaria I bought. Finding anything about these caps has been difficult, they seem to have air vents and the underneath of the peak is green whereas mine doesn't have the vents and is black under the peak.

Can anyone tell me if I bought the real deal all those years ago? By the real deal I mean a cap in use around the time of the Great War.

Thanks

Tony

It might be great war, but the peak looks a bit too long,so beside the badge this type of cap is still made today. I really could not state with any confidence as to when it was made, it might be 100 years old or 30 or any age in between

Thanks to you both for the replies.
    I’ve been doing more digging around online and found a site where someone mentions that the pre 1921 cap has black cloth as a top lining and American cloth for the sweatband. My cap has these features too.
    A top stitch is mentioned as being on post war caps and wartime Canadian manufactured caps however, I don’t know what’s meant by top stitch.
    The peak measures just over 50mm (about 2 inches) at it’s longest point, any idea how long they’re supposed to be?
    Tony

Okey dokey Jerry, I might go to the UK next year so I suppose I should have a squiz in the new, much disliked Imperial War Museum to see what they have on display in the way of caps up to the 1940s.

Okey dokey Jerry, I might go to the UK next year so I suppose I should have a squiz in the new, much disliked Imperial War Museum to see what they have on display in the way of caps up to the 1940s.

I am afraid that the display will not help you, you'd better arrange to get an appointment with one of the backing crew and dive into the collection's store rooms. There are the details you seek.

Bob, I've had more info. The headlining is black cloth dating it to pre 1912, the peak is the correct size for pre 1921 caps and the chinstrap is of Great War period but, I'm still not 100% sure about the top stitching. The one you show obviously has stitching along the top outside of the headband, mine doesn't even though it must be stitched somewhere there.

Also now that the cap is out of storage it seems to be getting a flat look back. I'll attach another photo when I get a chance.

Tony