News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I would like to know more about the attached award (I believe it is called the 'Kriegsehrenzeichen in Eisen' from Hesse-Darmstadt). Can someone tell me who was eligible for this decoration / conditions for bestowal / numbers issued?

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

it was awarded for bravery in the field. Normally it could be awarded to persons, who got the wound badge/EK2 bevor.

In the fields it was called Blutiger Ludwig.

No one knows exactly the awarded numbers - may be 2000 - 3000 (Rosenwald research)

Hi Matt!

Here is a german link to the medal.(Attention: Translation by BING, not by myself, I was too lazy...). The attached photo is from my collection.

http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/kriegsehrenzeichen-in-eisen-1917-an-schraubscheibe.html

This award was instituted on the presentation of 1917 on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Government by Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig. There should be a renewed exterior decorations for the recognition of the glorious struggle and its Hesse war acts. It was intended for people who have distinguished themselves through special bravery and continuous use in front line of the battle. Conditions for the award were: the Hessian citizenship, at least 2 years belonging to units in the war zone under enemy action, one or multiple injury as well as bravery and good conduct. Derogations from these conditions were not provided for. There were different badges made, blackened iron blackened silver, iron and silver plated or painted the black parts. Centre sections made of aluminium are also available. There are also variants of non-ferrous metals known. The shown version with screw washer is very rare.

A round in its basic form, stell plug badge of iron (or also non-ferrous metals) partly blackened or painted. The middle section, silver plated. Back on the cipher applied a piece of thread with screw washer. The Monogram with Crown is fixed through 2 above and below 1 rivet (with an eyelet embossed with).

Front:

The circular edge will seal from a black wreath formed.
    Centrally placed that silver in entwined Monogram - E - L.
    The silver Duke Crown, which is located on the laurel wreath and surmounted this sits on the - L -.
    Under the - L - also a curved sign with - 25-silver plated
    This overlooks the black laurel wreath a little.

Back:

The laurel wreath (smooth) black. Center the threaded pin with screw washer.

• 5 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi Stogieman,

Agreed - I have an interest in WW1 aviation and I really like this medal as well. So to see a pilot and/or observer with this award is an added bonus.

I recently purchased a pic from ebay of a Luftwaffe officer wearing the medal, which I hope to post soon.

Thanks to everyone who posted their photos :)