NYC Auction this year?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Paul. I just checked today and the catalog is indeed available.

Would be interesting to hear commentary from those following the auction. My impression: it seems that half the lots, including the most substantial ones, are re-runs from last year with a note that a buyer from Kiev failed to pay. Extremely strange. The rest of the material seems unimpressive compared to previous years.

Thoughts?

The buyer from Kiev is known by most auction houses and banned from several, he is, to say the least, noted for slowness of payment, it seems now that he has decided to even give up on that. Given that the Imperial Russian market is flat with virtually no participation from that part of the world Dmitry is not going to get anything too exiting. The Soviet market is much stronger as it has always had a larger international following and prices for certainly the middle end material remain firm. The Imperial Russian Market provided good pay days for the auction houses and dealers for a good 6 or 7 years, just hoping another market goes crazy.

All the best,

Paul

Thanks, Paul. I just checked today and the catalog is indeed available.

Would be interesting to hear commentary from those following the auction. My impression: it seems that half the lots, including the most substantial ones, are re-runs from last year with a note that a buyer from Kiev failed to pay. Extremely strange. The rest of the material seems unimpressive compared to previous years.

Thoughts?

I wasn't sure how to interpret that note: a buyer from Kiev didn't pay (odd to mention that or intended to clarify that it's not due to questions on authenticity?) or that the original owner was from Kiev and several buyers didn't pay.

The overall orders/medals part was 'light' compared to prior years is my impression. One group caught my eye is one I'd really like to have AND could afford... but I placed a (undoubtedly too low) bid on a single that I'd love to have.

I wonder how the tumbling ruble is going to affect Russian buyers this time around? I know most of the "deep pockets" are well situated with dollars and Euros, but for an average Russian buyer, times might be tough...

There are new rich buyers entering the market... non-Russian.

I know most of the "deep pockets" are well situated with dollars and Euros, but for an average Russian buyer, times might be tough...

Since "average Russian buyer" usually buys 2nd class OGPWIIs and red stars in 2 xxx xxx range I'd say everybody is well situated :lol: