News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Metropolitan Police Divisional Areas 1888

Ladies/Gents,

Please forgive me ignorance, but can anyone answer a few questions for me with regards to Divisional areas, on the below map..

1. What does the blue online mean?

2. Why do some of the other Divisions have a yellow outer boarder and some don't?

3. H & G Divisions seem so small and yet J Division appears huge and also appears to include a large area of the East End, but only seems to have slightly more officers that H & G, why is that? Given it's size why was it called Bethnal Green which is only a tiny part of it?

G or Finsbury Division.

King's Cross Road.
    Charles Hunt, Supt.;
    Inspectors 23; Sergeants 46; Constables 480. Total 550.

H or Whitechapel Division.

Leman Street.
    Thos. Arnold, Supt.;
    Inspectors 30; Sergeants 44; Constables 473. Total 548.

J or Bethnal Green Division.

Bethnal Green Road.
    James Keating, Supt.;
    Inspectors 38; Sergeants 56; Constables 522. Total 617.

Edited by bigjarofwasps

I think with-in the Blue Line will represent Inner Divisions and the Red line the Metropolitan Police District.

I suppose when it was 'J' Division Bethnal Green was the largest central area. When the Divs. were split

then for the new 'H' Div. Bethnal Green was probably still the largest settled area.

Looking at your numbers for each Div. - they are all about the same. These are always based on the numbers

of residents and Bethnal Green was heavily over-populated. I hope this helps a little ? Mervyn