pjac

Distinguished Service Cross Mercantile Marine - W R Stobo

I found out by chance that my Great-Uncle, William Russell Stobo, Chief Engineer, and his captain F D Struss were both awarded the DSC after their ship, The Manchester Trader, engaged in a running battle with submarine U65 in the Mediterranean and was sunk off Pantellaria on 4 June 1917.

This was never mentioned in the family and I have no idea what became of the medal. I would very much like to track it down. Were these medals named? Even if not named, if might still be with his named Mercantile Marine medal and BWM. Where/how would I start looking? I'm not over-optimistic about finding it, but I won't know if I don't try!

Thanks

Patrick

Hello Patrick. What a great discovery. I look forward to seeing this thread develop.

Hi, if not already tried it, i would suggest that you check Dix, Noonan & Webb and the Spink auction archives as well. You never know. Best of luck with your search.

Hi, if not already tried it, i would suggest that you check Dix, Noonan & Webb and the Spink auction archives as well. You never know. Best of luck with your search.[/quo

Thanks very much. I'll give this a try.

Patrick

Thanks all.

I've checked both DNW and Spinks, but no joy. Also tried various google searches without success. What other medal auctioneers should I be looking at? Will continue with the search!

Patrick