News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2 WWI British Victory medals I would like to buy - need help

On another forum a person has 2 WWI British Victory medal for $15.00 each. He describes them as:

WW1 victory DVR AJ Smith ASC

WW1 victory PTE A Anderson HLI

I assume the DVR and PTE are rank. What does the ASC and HLI stand for? Also is it possible to get the award card and find their unit? Is the price good?

Thanks for the help

On another forum a person has 2 WWI British Victory medal for $15.00 each. He describes them as:

WW1 victory DVR AJ Smith ASC

WW1 victory PTE A Anderson HLI

I assume the DVR and PTE are rank. What does the ASC and HLI stand for? Also is it possible to get the award card and find their unit? Is the price good?

Thanks for the help

Hello Paul.

I believe DVR means Driver and PTE= Private.

ASC= Army Service Corps and HLI= Highland Light Infantry.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Paul.

I believe DVR means Driver and PTE= Private.

ASC= Army Service Corps and HLI= Highland Light Infantry.

Bernhard H. Holst

You are completely correct Bernhard. Also the rank DVR is equivalent to that of Private.

The medals should also have their Regimental numbers on them as well.

Edited by Pylon1357

Paul, I concur with what others have already posted. It is definitely possible to get their Medal Index Cards (MIC), which may give a little more information, including what other medals they may have been awarded (1914/15 Star or British War Medal). But you need the regimental number from the medals, especially with such common surnames. It will likely give what theater they served; for example HLI battalions were at Gallipoli and Private Anderson's card may show that. However, it might not show his exact battalion. It is also unlikely to give specific unit data for the Army Service Corps.

$15 is an excellent price for common Victory Medals. If the HLI soldier might have been at Gallipoli, the value could be triple that...at least I'd pay more for it.

See here for more about MIC: British Army medal index cards 1914-1920

Edited by IrishGunner

Hello All. Thanks for the help. I am a little unclear about the medals having a serial number. I'll see what I can find out.

Paul, British WWI medals are engraved on the edge with Name, Rank, Regimental Number, and Unit- at least in the case of Other Ranks - Enlisted. (Officers do not have a number engraved).

Many "sellers" in the US don't realize there is something engraved on the edges and if they do, sometimes they don't understand the significance of the number. Therefore, they often don't list it in the details. In reality, the Regimental Number is perhaps the most important bit of information to the research.

Edited by IrishGunner

Unfortunately, they don't have an entry in the "Theater of war first served" box. No 1914/15 stars.

Only thing I can add is that Driver Smith served with Horse Transport and was probably a volunteer in the 4th Group of Kitchener's Army based upon the T4 in his regimental number.

Edited by IrishGunner