News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Regimental Side Drums

I have always found British Regimental side drums, especially the old rope tension versions, to be quite attractive, and interesting in the wide variety of designs and colours.

However, real examples are not inexpensive, and given their size, it's not easy to display a large collection.

I have only one, for the 17th Lancers, which is a modern day repaint by Christopher Collins.

I would love to see anyone else's examples.

BobS

Peter - that is exactly where their value lies. People like to buy two drums - have glass cut to cover the top and use them

as coffee or, end tables. Quality ones are not that common and members of the Regt. concerned like to buy them. They can

fetch over a 1000 pounds.

Bob's 17th Lancers Side Drum has been very well made and beautifully painted. However, should you ever come to sell-it,

there is a serious problem with the heraldry. All of the Battle Honours for the Regiment have been shown - right to the present.

However, the Royal Cypher is for either King George 3rd. or. George 4th.. Lancer Regiments were formed after the cavalry fiascos

at Waterloo and most Regiments date from 1816. From the best I can see, the Royal Arms appear to be the 1835 pattern.

Despite these errors, it is still a lovely display piece. When I can find the pictures I will show a side drum for the Royal Irish Regt. -

this was made for Geeorge 5th. Coronation in 1910 and the Regt itself was disbanded in the changes of 1922. Mervyn

• 1 year later...

Very nice drum bob.

I can't match it as a stringed type or the quality except mine is what appears to be an original regimental side drum for the Welsh Regiment, it dates to between 1953 (Queens Crown on the 69th foot badge) and 1969 when the regiment was amalgamated out of existence.  It is  a wooden frame with metal tensioners and is hand painted with 28 of the regimental battle honours which are most of them from the two regimental colours of the Welch, as was.  I found another example in not as good contdition that sold in 201o which had been missdescribed as being for the Royal Welsh regiment which is still in existence and would not be seelling its drums anyway!

Welch regiment side drum 1.jpg

Welch regiment side drum 4.jpg

Edited by Jerry B

Very nice, Jerry.  When I win the lottery I may have a chap I know paint me up a couple as coffee tables.  Our re-enacting brigade has both a Corps of Drums [and fifes] and several very talented artists, who have decorated the drums.  Something else to put on the list for the day-dream man cave!

On 1/24/2016 at 16:50, peter monahan said:

Very nice, Jerry.  When I win the lottery I may have a chap I know paint me up a couple as coffee tables.  Our re-enacting brigade has both a Corps of Drums [and fifes] and several very talented artists, who have decorated the drums.  Something else to put on the list for the day-dream man cave!

Thanks Peter.

I had long wanted one and to get a Welch example for a sensible price really made my day when I found it recently.

welch display 2.jpg