News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I sold this a couple of years ago and now I regret selling it as it was a nice example. Is anyone able to explain exactly what it was issued for. I had an alleged photo of the recipient as well I have a copy somewhere.

Hi Nick,

The engraved example was the rank brooch for the 'Deutscher Frauenarbeitsdienst' (German Woman's Labour Service) and was worn until 1937.

It came in three ranks:

Bronze: Arbeitsmaid.

Silver: Maidenf?hrerin

Gold Lagerf?hrerin

The S?tterlin script reads "Arbeit f?r dein Volk. Adelt dich Selbst. Deutscher Frauenarbeitsdienst" (Work for your people. Ennoble yourself. German Woman's Labour Service)

This organization then became the RADjW and instituted its own rank brooch.

The other one is the 1939 pattern.

As you say...A very nice example... Pity you sold it. sad.gif

Here's a quick shot of the one I have in silver..

Edited by J Temple-West

• 1 year later...

Chaiman

There is an excellent article in the journal Central European History Vol 15 1982 which details the Womens labor service in Nazi Germany.It is written by Jill Stephenson. The Deutscher Frauenarbeitsdienst, DFAD was established in 1934. The organisation was expanded in 1936 to become the more familiar RADwj. The numbering on the badges has always fascinated me because the organisation remained small with perhaps around 10,000 17-25 year olds in 400 camps. I have several badges with a range of numbers, often way beyond the 10,000 figure.Perhaps because the period of service was short, around 20 weeks, they simply kept issuing badges to new participants?

Hope that this helps a little.

Best regards Andy