Nice air crew Erkennungsmarke

Jock,

I like the things you find, it reminds me of the old days when good stuff could be found at boot sales and junk shops.

There's one thing I don't understand and have heard it twice in a week or so, it's the blood group on a tag, was it normal to have the blood group stamped? I only have one WWII ID tag which was given to me by the soldier who wore, it shows no blood group either.

Tony

Tony, for the most part the blood group was there, sometimes it is not for what reason I don't know. Perhaps his blood group was not known at the time of the disc production? I have heard said as well that SS discs don't have it since the members were tattooed with their blood group? Not much help if that arm was blown off though? You do see blood groups on SS discs as well. It is not the end of the world if it is not there, just a bit unusual.

I was under the impression that numbers only is Luftwaffe air crew, coded as such that when shot down the unit is not revealed, so one of the numbers is unit the other the stammroll number?  PW tags tend to have the Oflag, Stalag, etc, unit abreviation and they tend to be rectangular tags.  Your observation that you can only see numbers qualfies its usefulness to aircrew? No unit.

Edited by Jock Auld

Chris,

Yes FJ as well apparently the unit is a 5 or 6 digit number and the smaller number the roster number.  I have just lifted all my images from a thread on WRF entitled 'some random tags'.  Should I post them on here or is it duplication of data so to speak?

• 3 weeks later...