News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Solid silver 1957 EK

Huzzaah!Working!

So I found this in Iraq at a bazaar/market on a foot patrol in Baghdad.

It was thrown in with some small rusty tools and other metal objects in a little tin,I would love to learn the story behind this.

I did clean it up when I first got it. It was completely gunked up with Oil and who knows what else.

It still is pretty filthy but I haven't messed with it since I took the majority of the crud off it.Bet it would polish up nice!

It is the exact same size as an ordinary EK,(haven't weighed it)

The first picture looks a bit crooked and off center but that is just my most excellent camera abilities to make something straight look bent.

The pictures make it look like theres lines and dimples but the back is completely smooth, except for 2 small hash marks on top, I think it was to measure the position of the clasp.

I assume locally made and quite crude, but it is a neat little cross

Edited by Eric K.

I like it ! An interesting cross to be sure...........is it one piece or three piece construction, die stamped or cast ? how do you know it is Silver ? According to the specification/regulations laid down in the 1957 law, as long as the cross is made to spec it can be made by anyone, any where, even Abdullah in his yard shed !

However that said, in the collecting 57er world this cross would be a novelty/curio......as most collect and recognise established German makers such as St u L, Deumer, Assmann etc.........That said, I am in no way deriding this cross, fascinating find ! it would be a conversation piece in any 57er collection !

Prost ! Steve.

Edited by SteveL

I have a feeling this was never actually made to wear, maybe because it is a bit crude, and it is strange that it would be a '57, theres much sexier things to make if you just wanted it for some reason.

The cross itself is 1 piece but the oakleaves, numbers are all separate so in total it's more of a 6 piece construction(not including the clasp/hinge),you can really see the hand making in the numbers.

It's hard to say how it was made, I think it was cast, but very well done, and filed almost perfectly each rib is hand filed on the front, as you can see small differences in each line, and there are are small jeweler lines, so even though it's well made I don't think a "professional" did it. Someone with a bit of talent for sure.

I got it tested in Idar-Oberstein in 2007, I didn't get any paperwork or anything.But I was told it was solid silver, They offered to certify it, and I can't remember 100% but I think they also said they would stamp it. Either way I didn't do either :)

The pictures don't do it justice, it looks a little pitted on the back,and a bit shinier than it really is.It feels real nice in the hand.

Like I said I did clean it up a bit when I first got it, it was a mess,at first  I actually thought there was a swas, it was that gunked up. and I bet it would shine up beautifully

Eric

Edit: One more thing I think at one time it was painted black, that weird staining or whatever it is on the back isn't any type of patina,and it comes off pretty easy.

Edited by Eric K.