News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice

Does the thickness and weight vary on those examples, would be interesting to know not many get to examine four at once!!. The one I have now is a model. prototype, un-issued display whatever and been checked out not just by me.

I've had several over the years originals seem to vary in quality imo I've even Rockwell tested the blighters.

Eric

Jock

I think the record at re-enactments wearing a copy is 10 minutes or 50 yards,,,,a medic neck brace on standby lol! wearing trying to run they fall off even the whole helmet. they are some pics out showing them being pierced I think.

Eric

Thanks for your interest gentlemen!

Eric, do you have some pictures of that prototype? They are indeed a bit different depending on the maker. When I have some time I want to examine them further... Dimensions, weight etc.

Adler 1

Karel

Its on Walhalla the helm and plate came together think I got no comments which doesn't surprise me. I've checked the steel its part of what I do professionally. I'll take more pictures this weekend, strange puppy. Visually the plate looks like one shown at IWM taken Battle of The Somme it would appear early ones are thinner later they maybe lowered passing standards, made them thicker, for that I'd have to drill it and take a sample.

Eric

Adler

All I have for provenance is Collins Foundation. The helmet has never had a liner, the left rivet hole has been drilled oversize and the left vent lug is lower ( like seen on some ET helms) no makings. weight: 1087gms.

The plate is 1552gms and doesn't really fit a size 68 shell (I've been studying that one of the important parts of vent size washers was to have a space between the amour plate and the shell for better ballistics)

Both came together,, forget the paint.... you could have taken pics from Walhalla, I don't mind.

Eric

Thanks for the pictures Eric!

I'm sorry, but to me this plate doesn't look like an original or certainly not experimental, so here come the questions:

1) The provenance of the Collins Foundation... can you explain this a little more please? 

2) Is there a maker stamp on the inside of the plate?

3) Isn't it strange that the helmet and plate have exactly the same wrong color, as they were distributed seperately?

4) Why do you think the plate is experimental?

5) Are there any extraction marks on the plate? These are usually present because the plates were pulled out of the mold, while still being hot...

Hope you don't mind asking all this...

Adler 1

Karel

I thought it would be difficult, the paint is obviously just something to stop rust or whatever.

Both the helm and plate are not material used on copies or replicas other I may try and get in touch where it came from and ask how long they have had them. at some point will do some further tests or sell as 'unknown' btw they carry a full guarantee and have been passed as "strange but definitely not copies". They are not marked as far as I can tell and wouldn't believe meant for field use, so either:

Period display, pattern

Fake 

Thanks for the comments these photographs are courtesy of IWM. Its become apparent to me early ones are roughly 5mm +. Shortly before joining forums '09 I had a 'thinner' relic from a dugout a chum suggested 'cast' so I went outside and threw it against a concrete wall to silence the blighter. lol! the hanging from a coat hanger test I've found unreliable unless you know the "Ping".

I tried to explain on waf a good test,,,, but it reads back as if I'm on a magic mushroom trip.

Eric

Edited by Hoss

Thank you for your efforts Eric!

The ones in the IWM pictures are the real deal, but what you write about the "strange but definitely not copies" is no proof at all for being an experimental piece. I think IWM would certainly search further to find out what it really is... Please check with them, they might have more info on it.

I know, I know... Still have so much to learn and yes there's not so much information about stirnpanzers floating arrond, but I do want some proof in cases like this.

Adler 1

Karel

Of course me too when I saw them in person I thought 'weird' lol! the helmet especially its like a half way house 'square dip'. I'm completely open on authenticity from anyone I could send the rig to you if you want?

Can you at some point measure thickness and weight of yours be interesting as a manufacturing study,,,,I have one of those small post office scales they are very good and don't cost much.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, now it's getting difficult to answer... having 2 Erics arround! Just joking of course  :whistle:

I'm actually impressed by the skills of the guys who put some color into these original pictures. It's very realistic actually... I don't see a problem with that Eric (Hoss)... Thanks for posting Eric (other one  ;) )...

Eric (Hoss), does this mean a dead end for this subject?

Adler 1

yeah it is! I've had that pic for awhile I have no idea who did it or where I go tit unfortunately, but i'm with you I think the black and whites seem a bit grittier and captures a tiny bit of what those guys went thr,if that makes sense. Color seems to sterilize it a bit.

Eric (the 2nd)

Eric your #1 I'm Eric #562 lol!

Not for me I don't need modern bling in W1 photos for children's books and they make for bad reference material, its different if the image was originally done this way of course.

Karel I don't know who Mr Wilson was and no further history so thats it I guess.

Eric