News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello!
     I just recieved this phantastic bavarian minesweeper!

Unfortunatley I don´t k now the unit. Any ideas?
    The MWA stands for Minen-Werfer-Abteilung.

Probably there is a 4 upon the shoulder strap. That would indicate the bavarian 4th pioneer-bataillon, but I don´t know, which MWA was set-up by this bataillon

Reverse: blank

Edited by The Prussian

• 6 months later...

According to that site, if yours is Bayerische no. 4, then it was a Schwere Minenwerfer-Abteilungen.

During the period that this type of unofficial sleeve patch was worn, the shoulder strap number would reflect the pioneer unit that the MWA came from. So, this would not be the 4th Bavarian Schwere Minenwerfer-Abteilung. If there was an Abteilung number at all, it was normally shown on the sleeve patch. Later in 1915, when the new Minenwerfer shoulder strap was introduced, the unit number was displayed on them and the sleeve patches were dropped.

I´m not sure, if there is a 4.

It´s hard to see. Probably the "thing", looks like a 4, is just a crease, or a hand-written 4.

Another detail is the 9 upon the button!

Kraus says:

The bavarian Pio.Rgt.4 wore the 4 upon the shoulder-straps (KM from 24.11.1915), because it consists of companies of the 4th bavarian Pi.Btl.

Maybe this one wrote it on it, befor ehte shoulder-straps with a 4 were introduced...

But the 9 puzzles me. Kraus writes about bavarian minesweeper-companies 1-9

Other sources don´t mention a N°9. (only 1-6, 10-12, 14-16 and upper numbers).

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

During the period that this type of unofficial sleeve patch was worn, the shoulder strap number would reflect the pioneer unit that the MWA came from. So, this would not be the 4th Bavarian Schwere Minenwerfer-Abteilung. If there was an Abteilung number at all, it was normally shown on the sleeve patch. Later in 1915, when the new Minenwerfer shoulder strap was introduced, the unit number was displayed on them and the sleeve patches were dropped.

Thanks for the correction - will bear that in mind. I am not too hot on unifoms and badges and its always good to learn

Andy,

Two things. First, if that is not a "4", then what is it? Only Garde units had no unit numbers and this fellow is not from a Garde unit. Also, the number on the shoulder strap is "6.". Look where the "punkt" is.

Chip

Chip!

You´re right with the 6. I didn´t recognize the Punkt. You might be a master in handstands...:D

So we can finish...

Bavarian Pi.Rgt.4 (constisted of two bataillons), 6th company.

Thanx a lot! One beer for you, matey!

Master of handstands? Is that good or bad? It must be a German saying, but it does convey the intended meaning.  I assume it means being good at something that no one cares about?

Eric,

The Bavarian's were pretty slap-dash with their manufacturing of straps. Their numbers were usually without serifs, the edges (as is the case here) were often mis-sewn so that they often opened easily. There must not have been any inspection, as they occasionally are seen with the edge sewing so far off that there is an open space between the two layers.