News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

National Records of Scotland Researcher

Dear All,

Does anyone know of a professional researcher working at the NRS reading room in Edinburgh?   I need a look-up in the records of the Forfar Militia for 1807 ( http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=SC47%2f72%2f4&r=sc47%2f72 - for a John Tindal, who volunteered on 2nd September that year to 46th Foot, and who earned an MGS with clasps for Martinique and Guadaloupe).   Not that I have the faintest idea of what these records contain, but I can but hope for an age and place of birth, and maybe an occupation and residence as well.   As a volunteer, he signed up for a specific length of service, was discharged time expired in 1821, was therefore not entitled to a pension, so there are no WO97 or WO121 files for him.   Sadly, there seems to be nothing in WO96 either.

Mike  -  I think this request has 'stumped' us  !    I would suggest contacting the Reading Room and ask for their recommendations.

You could also look in a recent copy of the MEDAL YEARBOOK  and see who is advertising. Hope this helps.  Mervyn

It stumped the British Medal Forum and all my Facebook friends as well.   Scholarship seems thin on the ground north of the border!   I shall have a look in the back of the MYB, and, failing that, try the reading room direct.   Many thanks.

Edited by mikehm