WP AR 216 from 40 to 44

Hello Jock.

As stated before by Rick. The battle of the Bulge began on 16.December 1944 through the Eifel area and was a surprise attack. Preparations were kept back from the frontlines until very shortly before the start of the offensive. While this soldier was deployed on the Eifel frontline and found his death i doubt any connection with the forthcoming offensive.

Bernhard H. Holst

Very nice example to a unit (Art.Rgt 272) that is actually fairly sort after. He was killed during the fighting in the Hürtgen Forest although his specific place of death is not listed in the Volksbund Database whereas it does appear to be listed in the Wehrpass. There is a decent entry in Lexikon for Art.Rgt 272. Just scroll down the linked page to the relevant unit...

Here are the burial details for him...
Karl-Heinz Böttcher ruht auf der Kriegsgräberstätte in Schleiden-Gemünd-Kriegsgräberstätte. Endgrablage: Grab 110 

There is a very good book on 272 VGD and the fighting in the Hürtgen Forest by Doug Nash...
Victory Was Beyond Their Grasp: With the 272nd Volks-Grenadier Division from the Hurtgen Forest to the Heart of the Reich

I've just noticed the signature for the Ost Medal on Page 23. It is that of Harald Schultz who won the DKiG in 1944 with Art.Rgt 205 and the RK in April 1945 as the Commander of 24 Infanterie-Division. He finished the war as a Generalmajor and was released from Russian captivity in 1955.
Edited by hucks216

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• As a theology student my professor, a much published former Naval chaplain, set us an essay, saying that if we could answer that successfully we would be guaranteed  a good degree "Which of the gospel writers was the biggest liar, discuss."   I got a good mark, but  don't want to be burned for heresy.   P
    • As my father used to say: "Tain't so much Pappy's a liar - he just remembers big."  
    • Brian: First, let me say that I always enjoy reading your blog and your "spot on" comments.  Another fine topic with such a broad expansion into so many different facets.  I had watched this a week or two ago and when reading your blog, it reminded me of this great quote.   There is a great video on the origins of "Who was Murphy in Murphy's Law"   Anyway, about mid way through this video, there is this great quote and I think it sums it up quite well to your statem
    • I've received word from the Curator that she has permission to re-open this summer.   We're already making plans for a November event at the Museum.   Michael
    • I recall I did the same on hot days at Old Fort York back in 1973-74 - wool uniforms, and at 90F they would let you take your backpack off.   Michael