News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all, does anyone recognise the medal on the ordenspange indicated?, it COULD be Wuerttemburg but not sure, it has an unusual suspension ring, any help appreciated, I recognise the rest, for interest it belonged to Johannes von Pezold

regards

Alex K

• 4 years later...

That seems to be a very sharp and detailed portrait. Alex, would you mind to show the whole portrait? It seems you didn't by now, at least I couldn't find it anywhere on GMIC...

:whistle:

Edited by saschaw

On 09/09/2019 at 15:48, saschaw said:

Ah, that's one from the Landesarchiv. Thought it was yours and wanted to ask for a trade.

:P

Hey, Mr. Sasha! I want to ask you a question. I don't understand the two versions of the Baden Golden Medal. According to historical photos, there is no such German letter version. So, who is the German letter issued to? Royal staff? I know that the medals in the third photo were not officially released. I am sorry that there are no three groups of bars.

169802498_psb(2).jpg.a4fdd4c37dc4179b1857191e9366d02f.jpg

???

psb.png.70e26bf62acfc4e19eaa6f096e42ebc9.png

669135194_psb(4).jpg.696ddc731ba4a11bed2363d3f1a8cc0e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    On 10/09/2019 at 11:08, 1812 Overture said:

Hey, Mr. Sasha! I want to ask you a question. I don't understand the two versions of the Baden Golden Medal.

These two medals are most confusing, and have always been. Even back then, in 1906 ff., there was much confusion, and you will often find them mounted on unfitting ribbons.

The medal with inscription on the avers, the Erinnerungsmedaille für 1906, is a jubilee medal, awarded on occurrence of the golden wedding jubilee of the grand duke. The medal without inscription, the Friedrich-Luisen-Medaille, was instituted in 1906 as well, but not as a jubilee medal but for caritative merits. This was awarded for several years, probably until the "Great War" started. Most went to nurses and doctors, but many as well to civil state servants and private persons that supported hospitals, orphanages and such by giving donations to them.

The Friedrich-Luisen-Medaille on the 4 place medal bar has the proper ribbon, but the Jubiläumsmedaille on the 3 place medal bar should be worn on the very same ribbon as the 1902 jubilee medal, that can bee seen on the second and third bar you show.

:wacky:

On 10/09/2019 at 10:46, 1812 Overture said:

This is not my picture

Anyway, thanks for sharing! That is a brilliant portrait of Otto Winterer (1846-1915) who was lord mayor (Oberbürgermeister) of the city of Freiburg im Breisgau from 1888 until 1913... it's funny to see how messy he wore his medal bar!

Edited by saschaw

• 3 months later...

Thanks, Komtur, for sharing this great group to one of the most important men of his days with us!

What I love most about it, besides the Baden connection, of course, is the fitting photograph!

Edited by saschaw

On 05/01/2020 at 10:06, 1812 Overture said:

This is my collection of Baden medals.

A great overview on the Baden awards, the most beautiful and interesting of all, with some not too common pieces! You do know two don't come with the proper ribbons, I assume? You can check ehrenzeichen-orden.de for the proper ribbons:

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/medaille-fur-arbeiter-und-dienstboten-1895.html

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/felddienst-auszeichnung-1839.html

On 05/01/2020 at 10:06, 1812 Overture said:

Actually, I want to have a Baden wedding medal with text on the front. . .

I'm going to send you an email on this matter...

Edited by saschaw

• 2 weeks later...
    On 06/01/2020 at 02:54, saschaw said:

A great overview on the Baden awards, the most beautiful and interesting of all, with some not too common pieces! You do know two don't come with the proper ribbons, I assume? You can check ehrenzeichen-orden.de for the proper ribbons:

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/medaille-fur-arbeiter-und-dienstboten-1895.html

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/felddienst-auszeichnung-1839.html

I'm going to send you an email on this matter...

412763400_QQ20200118142605.png.5b818ec1a66570eeb7f29ccb4a2fad74.pngpsb.jpg.4ad966d2a94e9174bb87a3ef6ce44ff9.jpg

New discovery! The Japanese also won this medal。His name is "Yatsushiro Rokuro"

• 2 months later...
    On 18/01/2020 at 07:24, 1812 Overture said:

New discovery! The Japanese also won this medal。His name is "Yatsushiro Rokuro"

Wow, this is such a cool find! I have never seen or noticed that before! According to Wikipedia information, Yashiro Rokurō was assigned to Berlin, Germany, as naval attaché from 1905 to late December 1907.