News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Glider Pilot Regiment

Gents

I've been doing a bit of research for a plaque that I'm painting for work at the Army Air Corps. Discussing their history with some of the uniforms there (and ex uniforms) we thought it would be a good shout to do something to commemorate the original Glider Pilot Regiment (1942 - 1957) who trained as just about the most complete soldier there ever was (or probably ever will be).

During my research I managed to find an old magazine dated 24th March 1945 which may be of interest to you. Obviously written after their operations in Norway, Sicily, Normandy (D-Day) and Arnhem. But before Varsity (the Rhine landings actually took place on the same date as this magazine).

I've done some scans of the article from 'Illustrated' magazine. Knowing that pictures on here can be difficult to read, I've split the pages up into pieces so that they are easier read (hopefully in the correct order).

Here's the start of the artwork for their plaque with the WW2 AAC cap badge and the title of the magazine.  

First page (hopefully I've resized so that they can still be read  :unsure: )

There were a lot of RAF pilots recruited due to the massive losses at Arnhem. 

Edited by Spasm

Steve  -  I used to know an old chap in our village who was a trained glider pilot and who had been at Arnhem.

For some reason he sold me all of his badges , unfortunately I no longer have them.   I remember him saying

that the gliders were dreadful machines to control and many of them went out of control and crashed.  As I said

he was at the Arnhem disaster and was one of the final ones to escape.  Although wounded he managed to swim

across a canal and was rescued and taken to safety by the Dutch Resistance.  He said he was in the last half dozen

to get away.   He used to come-in and have coffee in the shop quite regularly , however, like many British pensioners

he returned to the UK for the National Health Service.   I suppose he has passed away by now - his wife was unwell

also.   A brave and very pleasant man who did his duty under very difficult conditions.     Mervyn