News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

George VI Coronation Medal- awarded to a German?

Gentlemen,

Over the weekend I was reading that German Generalfeldmarschall Werner von Blomberg represented Hitler at King George VI Coronation in May 1937.

Is there any record of von Blomberg being given the Coronation Commemorative Medal? To me it seems possible, as he was representing a foreign Head of State, but I thought I would ask the collectors in this field for their opinions.

I look forward to any help you can offer, regarding this query. smile.png

Many thanks
    Pierce

yup he was indeed awarded this medal!dont think he would have worn it much though after getting it!(oh and the rolls arent avaible to the public but i got them from a contact on another forum!) heres a screen shot of the page hes listed in!hope it helps!!!

Edited by paddywhack

Paddywhack, you are a gentleman. Thank you so much for obtaining this information for me.

What does "U.K. 1.5" mean?

Do any of the other future Generalfeldmarschalls appear on the roles?

Best regards

Pierce

Edited by P.F.

GMIC moved servers last night so some topics and posts may have been lost in the time it takes for the domain to direct from the old to the new server. Apologies but it was unavoidable.

GMIC moved servers last night so some topics and posts may have been lost in the time it takes for the domain to direct from the old to the new server. Apologies but it was unavoidable.

And here I thought you wanted to keep it a secret that Nazi Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbontrop received this medal while Ambassador to the Court of St. James.  :P

Hopefully, paddywhack will be kind enough to repost the roll pages with the "von" names again...

Edited by IrishGunner

hers something else! in 35 there was the kings jubilee and they issued a medal for that to!i checked the rolls and here is the vons off that list!!!

Very interesting to see this. Thanks for sharing this too.

Best

Pierce

I may have mentioned this before but the nicest single 'group' of decorations I recall seeing, years ago, was to the senior stationmaster at Victoria Station for 40 years straddling WWI and whenever a head of state came through on a state visit, this chap would get handed a decoration of some sort.  I'd agree with Irish Gunner that the medals probably went out by the sack load!