News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Katana I need your help please

dedehansen

Hello Andreas,

It is really hard to tell from the photos as you really need to hold a sword in your hands to tell if it is the real deal or not.  I would be very careful about purchasing this sword as it is telling me that it is a Chinese made reproduction.  The horse motif bothers me but the Fuchi (medal ring above the Tsuba or hand guard) looks to be about twice as wide as it should be. I also worry about the shibabiki (metal decoration) and the Ishizuke (the chape on the scabbard's end) in design and the way they fit.  To my eye it lacks the usual attention to detail in the match between them and the saya (scabbard).

I hope other members will weigh in on this with their opinions.

Thanks for posting this.

Regards

Brian

From the photos I would pass, Brian posted the same concerns I would echo, If it is extra cheap (like 10 bucks) it would be a nice addition to the mantel and an extra nice addition if it ended up being real, although I doubt it's authenticity.

hi give it miss for the above reasons unfortunately the collectors world is awash with reproductions and fakes if you are looking for a cheaper sword to display the Chinese are producing some really convincing reproductions of Japanese ww2 military swords that are difficult to tell from genuine Japanese ww2 swords