• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hello readers.

I recently retrieved another reference book relating to the Prussian Golden Military Merit Cross, "Ehrenbuch des Militaer-Verdienst-Kreuzes" published in 1960 by the Association of Recipients of the Prussian Golden Military Merit Cross.

The book lists two recipients of the cross during the war against Austria in 1866 who were members of the 1.Garde Regiment zu Fuss. They were one Unteroffizier and one Fusilier ( no names or companies given)  out of a total of sixteen awarded. During the German war against France 1870 - 1871 non were bestowed as the Iron Cross was reintroduced which proved adequate.

During WW I a total of 1770 were awarded. This number was established by the association after several reviews and the elimination of duplicates caused by numbering errors and such. The association had access to the files in the 1930's before their destruction by bombs late in the war

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst
  • 2 weeks later...

The entire regiment wore silver (neusilber) fittings. The regimental staff and I. Bataillon were differentiated by a scroll with the inscription "Semper Talis".

Regards

Glenn

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the barracks exists...

They do and are still in use by the brandenburg Ministry of the Interior. Sorry but find no proper pictures of it.

http://www.mik.brandenburg.de/media_fast/4055/Anfahrt MI.pdf

http://www.erstes-garderegiment.de/indexalt.htm

The monument itself was blewn up in 1946 as of order of the communist government. As a special act of humiliation it had to be done by former member s of the regiment.

http://www.erstes-garderegiment.de/indexalt.htm

Gruß Stefan

Some miscellaneous regimental insignia. Two prewar type collars, one enlisted, one NCO and a pair of overcoat Kragenpatten. The second photo has a prewar type overcoat (removable) shoulder strap and a piece of collar with the simplified (shortened) M1907/15 Litzen.

img308.jpg

img310.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello Dante,

Very nice and early tunic! Do you mind telling me what the diameter is on those tombak buttons? I'm not sure when they downsized these plain buttons, but I'm guessing in the 1890s or around 1900.

Chip

Hello : thanks for the material posted , one of the pics of dante is of garde grenadier ( brandenburg cuffs ) the 1st and 2nd bataillon wears white hairbush the 3rd (fusilier ) black hairbush, musicians red one . looking Caran d Ache I can not avoid to question why the french and others had the cliche of the big footed german ?