News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Ribbon- help required

Gentlemen,

This is a mock-up of an unknown ribbon to me. Does anyone recognise which medal/order this represents? The ribbon appears to be a burgundy/maroon colour, with white edges.

Many thanks
    Pierce

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

What caused you to put this in the Central and Eastern European States forum?  Do you have any other info like possible country?  Any clues you already have might be helpful to trigger some thoughts by other members.

Here's my guess:

Poland's "Odznaka Honorowa Bene Merito" - "Badge of Honour "Bene Merito"; awarded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs since 2009 to Polish citizens and foreigners for work in the international arena that strengthens Poland's image.  Only one grade however.

Ribbon from wikipedia:

Image result for Odznaka Honorowa "Bene Merito"

The medal:

7c8325ba-dcbb-49c4-971e-e5ff9df10abe

Latvia comes close with this one...  But in your "mock up" it doesn't have the very narrow red edge stripes.

LVA Cross of Recognition.png

The Cross of Recognition  (Latvian language: Atzinības krusts); awarded in 5 grades since 1938 to Latvians and foreigners for work in developing the military and national security.

Latvian President's website description

Then there is the US Legion of Merit.  Although, the white edge stripes are more narrow than your "mock up"4167__orig.jpg

Awarded in 4 grades; with Officer, Commander, and Chief Commander being awarded only to foreigners.  Legionnaire is awarded to both foreigners and US military.  The top 3 grades always have a ribbon device on the bar.  (This image shows the ribbon as "purplish" but it really is red like the one above.)

lomribbon.jpg

Thank you for posting IrishGunner. I posted it here as it may be a European award. I have looked through a number of reference books and websites but cannot locate an exact match.

The only other information I can supply is that it is:

-On a German ribbon bar (Hermann Goring);

-A foreign award, most likely presented to Goring in the 1930s;

-The colour is burgundy/maroon with white edges (NOT red).

-It most likely represents some sort of Grand Cross, but of what country or medal order I have no clue.

Many thanks
    Pierce

Well, rather than hunting blind, the Goering information is a key clue that certainly helps narrow down the search.  Certainly none of my suggestions fit.

Here is a

You can look yourself at all of the possibilities listed in that topic.  But based on your image, I think you are mistaken about the edge stripes.  It looks to me to be a wide white stripe and then a narrow red stripe on the very outside edge and this would match with the Yugoslavia Order of the White Eagle.  This award is specifically discussed in the above GMIC topic.

Many thanks for the link. I have seen that topic, and read many others. There is no truly complete list out there in my opinion but it is something I am personally working on continuously. The ribbon is as I originally posted. The red stripe you see belongs to the next ribbon (white with thin red edges). It's not a great photo I posted, at an angle like that.

The Yugoslavian Order of the White eagle uses a red and blue and/or white ribbon- the ribbon in question is certainly more burgundy/maroon. Here is a straight on shot of the ribbon. The resolution is poor but you should be able to make out the colour and make-up as described.

The mystery ribbon does not fit anything I have come across for Goring. It is hard, I think, to even begin to pinpoint a country, as he collected so many decorations from all over the world. That's why I had hoped someone would recognise this ribbon.

My own first thought was the San Marino Order of St. Agatha. It's close- but then it has a yellow stripe at the edge, and this ribbon does not, but maybe this ribbon could be something out of the ordinary like that.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

If this should belong to Göring (I am sorry, the photos in the initial post do not show up to me), I would suggest the ribbon of the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir of the Independent State of Croatia (NDH). As far as I remember, Göring was a recipient.

Do not care much about colour shade. Photos (esp. old photos) tend to misdepict exact color hues.

Would you mind reposting the photos?