Reserve Field Artillery Regiment 32

Gentlemen - Please forgive my amateur abilities in researching WWI units. What division would I attribute this unit to? I would think 32. Division (from Saxony) but I don't see a match. I only have "251 Divisions" to really work with...

Thanks, Chris. Any chance they would have been formed in 1917 around the same time as 96 ID? Or, would they have been an existing unit used to form the new division?

You are seeing the 53 RD reference elsewhere than 251 Divisions?

Any coincidence that 23. ID, 96. ID and 53. RD were all Saxon (provided there is some connection to 23. ID which there very well isn't)?

I ask all this because I want to understand these Imperial units - I am spoiled as I generally concentrate on WWII when the Wehrmacht was nationalized and much easier to follow. I also have reference to an Unteroffizier named Lutz in 1. Batterie.

Both the October 1917 and April 1918 British Index to German Forces in the Field show it assigned to the 96.I.D. Von Stein's research shows "23.Res.Felda.Br.der 23.R.D., He.Art. Ob.Ost,,Mai 1917 96.ID., März 1918 53.R.D., zuletzt He.Art. b. 18.Armee".

Chip

In looking at the list of various units the Regiment was subordinate to, and how often the Regiment was spread around, it strike me as pretty extraordinary. Is it, though? Obviously units get borrowed from time to time but was this type of thing more common during WWI?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• As a theology student my professor, a much published former Naval chaplain, set us an essay, saying that if we could answer that successfully we would be guaranteed  a good degree "Which of the gospel writers was the biggest liar, discuss."   I got a good mark, but  don't want to be burned for heresy.   P
    • As my father used to say: "Tain't so much Pappy's a liar - he just remembers big."  
    • Brian: First, let me say that I always enjoy reading your blog and your "spot on" comments.  Another fine topic with such a broad expansion into so many different facets.  I had watched this a week or two ago and when reading your blog, it reminded me of this great quote.   There is a great video on the origins of "Who was Murphy in Murphy's Law"   Anyway, about mid way through this video, there is this great quote and I think it sums it up quite well to your statem
    • I've received word from the Curator that she has permission to re-open this summer.   We're already making plans for a November event at the Museum.   Michael
    • I recall I did the same on hot days at Old Fort York back in 1973-74 - wool uniforms, and at 90F they would let you take your backpack off.   Michael