Oldenburg FA 1st variant--less common maker

here's an example that certainly appears to be wartime issue--despite being definitely not by knauer--as it has the commensurate wear and tear for such a period piece.

while the body is magnetic, the pin and hinge appear to be deeply tarnished or blackened silver...and the wreath has been hand finished, showing hand-cut  notches on

the sides of the wreath.

i tried to match the pin and hinge with perhaps an ek1 from my collection, but no luck so far. am widening the search.

i like it a lot, and it's the fifth or sixth variant of the oldenburg fa 1st i have managed to acquire so far. any ideas on the maker?

CIMG0007.thumb.JPG.95a368f5542d1aa142f8fCIMG0008.thumb.JPG.084a917cf9379eca1cfecCIMG0014.thumb.JPG.35da7f3590982a9fc50ef

CIMG0007.thumb.JPG.95a368f5542d1aa142f8f

CIMG0008.thumb.JPG.084a917cf9379eca1cfec

CIMG0014.thumb.JPG.35da7f3590982a9fc50ef

here are some old pics, richard.

the sew-on version is up in the air, but i haven't seen another one. usually if it's fake, there are other examples readily available

pretty well done though, with decent attention paid to its manufacture.

notice the drilled holes...they are nicely finished. lacquer on brass or tombac

CIMG0002.thumb.JPG.5b02f1e2471c91adee61eCIMG0004.thumb.JPG.63d179bbebb1ac0d0211aCIMG0005.thumb.JPG.14928bcd846149bbf4cf7

CIMG0005.thumb.JPG.14928bcd846149bbf4cf7

CIMG0004.thumb.JPG.63d179bbebb1ac0d0211a

CIMG0002.thumb.JPG.5b02f1e2471c91adee61e

forgot to include this point in preceding post...one thing that i immediately considered was that it is a

screwback meybauer that had been converted to a pinback...doesn't seem to be the situation with this

one...the reverse shows wear from an old price tag, glue residue damage, but no evidence that a screw

post has been removed.

there's even a bit of old original finish left on the spot where the post would have been. 

CIMG0003.thumb.JPG.e35efda205a08f9cb041e

CIMG0003.thumb.JPG.e35efda205a08f9cb041e

• 8 months later...

Hi Paul,

Neal O'Connor's original research states that he counted 6,900 1st class awards, 55,000 2nd class combatant awards and 1,645 2nd class non-combatant awards in Eutin. He also states a slightly higher number from another researcher but does not breakdown the 2nd class in his book aviation awards of imperial germany volume VI.

Chuck

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Chris was referring to this fake.The Cyrillic mark is a dead give away. Chichalov makes collector copies and sells them as such. But,plenty of shady dealers buy them and then sell them as originals.

FA1fake.jpg

FA1fakerev1.jpg

FA1fakerev.jpg

FA1fakerevcu.jpg

Edited by bolewts58