News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fake Military Medal and Khedives Star?

Hello all,

I recently bought these medals along with a lot of german medals. British medals are not my area, so I hope that you can help me.

I am very much in doubt about the Khedives Star. There is no markings or stamps. But I have never handled an original. What is your opinion?

The military medal is a fake I think, but I just need a confirmation.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings from Denmark / Hans

DSCF0622.JPG

DSCF0623.JPG

DSCF0625.JPG

DSCF0626.JPG

DSCF0627.JPG

DSCF0633.JPG

DSCF0636.JPG

DSCF0638.JPG

DSCF0639.JPG

The Khedives Medal for 1884-6 was un-named as issued and was given to accompany the British medal.  It also was given with the 1885 British medal given to commemorate the attempted re-taking of Khartoum.  Yours has tarnished badly, however, the bronze can be seen shining through.  I think that you can assume that this is a genuine medal.

With regard to the Military Medal  -  this was first issued in 1916.  At some point it has been taken from it's mount - probably to make a brooch or, pendant.   Later remounted by a jeweller, who has used a strange mount.  He has also moved the position of the head and a blob of solder is now obscuring part of the wording.   Apart from these points  -  and the Crown being the earlier Edward 7th style it is probably correct.  There were a number of variations for different units and this may account for the Crown.   These were named  -  are there any details around the rim of the medal ?

Other members comments may throw further light on these - however, do nothing about selling them for the present.   Mervyn

Thankyou for your correction on the MM , Paul.   I thought the one side looked OK - although with the wrong crown.  The King's head looked wrong with the hair.     So, Venturii  -  get rid of the MM which Paul confirms is a fake.      Mervyn

Hello Mervyn and Paul.

Thank you so much for your expertise and kindness.  I will keep the Khedives and the MM is going on the danish marked as a poor fake.

Thx again. I really appreciate it.

Best regards from Denmark, Hans

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...