News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WORLD POLICE RIOT SQUADS

For quite some years now the riots and disturbances in Countries around the World have been increasing.  Partly this is due to the internet and the  so-called 'Social Media'  -  people become involved in matters that are nothing to do with them  -  but boredom, and a sense of mischief lead to volumes of posts that end-up as street demonstrations.

The UK experienced severe rioting a year ago  -  now the US has similar fighting and looting.  South Africa is in it's 3rd week of Xenophobic attacks  (means a hatred and fear of foreigners)  against African refugees from other African countries.   There have been many deaths  -  much looting of their property, and many fleeing  back over the borders.   The Govt. talks  -  but, this is a big country and the authorities have had to call on the Army to assist.

When you start to analyse the reports you quickly realise that few countries have been spared this looting and rioting  -  Africa, the Far East and South America have always had problems  -  but, it is now common in the Middle East and Europe.

Very few Countries can allow the luxury of having their Beat Officers deal with serious numbers of agitators and as a result most major cities have Response - or, Riot Squads.  Some of these are very sophisticated  -  others, just groups trained to work together.     For some time I have been wondering on how to get some statistics and pictures of these special squads  -  but, short of writing to every World Force it seemed an impossible task.

Then  -  out of the Blue !  -  I was looking for something related to Police and found a  news type server called "Buzz Feed".   Among it's thousands of refs.  I found an article on the rioting in Ferguson near St. Louis and an author - by name - Marco Djurica - had brought together pictures of riot squads from Police Forces in many different countries.    I give full recognition to both the Server and to Mr. Djurica.    His photos show the men and their equipment  -  but, he does not go into great detail about the particular equipment they use.My titles will just give the town, city or, country.

There are some 30 pictures  -  with my MD this will take time to post  -  so, I will pin this intro. and then over the next few days/weeks will add the pictures.   For a "World Police Forum" they are exactly the ref. we need - and I hope will encourage comment, criticism , and additional photos from countries not covered.    Mervyn

SOUTH AFRICAN RIOT POLICE

1619587.thumb.jpg.e2a40af2c1c8028f42152a

In the early 1970's  -  at the height of the Vietnam War - left wing groups in the UK organised a number of demonstrations in front of the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square, London.  The numbers were enormous and the Met. Police fought pitched battles for many hours to get the situation under control.  There were two main demos. - both with serious Police casualties.    This picture shows just one section - and it was fairly calm at this point.   I think nearly every Police officer suffered injuries  -  we had no special equipment to help.    I am somewhere in this crowd...........

When you see the vulnerability of the Police , you can understand why most cities have these special riot squads.

3403035.thumb.jpg.6fe0f5469fa2f77f904367

oldie from the boston pd a riot car circa 1920-29  and riot unit training with bayonets so the militarising of the police is nothing new, leslie jones photos

Old Photos of Boston Police (3).jpeg

Old Photos of Boston Police (8).jpeg

Mickey - it's always good when members can join in on posts  -  and you have done us proud.  What are the red scarfs on the front of the NZ uniform  ?   The earlier NZ ones were more like we were in the 70's  -  very little to protect us and we only had the short baton.

Douglas , from Brasil, has already posted some pictures we didn't have  -  so, we must hope other members will join-in. I still have a number to add  -  but with my hands it takes time.     Best wishes     Mervyn

ps.   I think I still support the ones with bayonets............. 

a couple more of the boston pd leslie jones photos I like the one of the mounted cop during the 1920 may day riots still an effective crowd controller today,and inspecting riot guns in 1934

0000cdfd_medium.jpg

0000cdfa_medium.jpg

Riot police from the German state of Schleswig-Holstein.  The green uniforms have been replaced by blue uniforms recently.  You can see the mix of the blue and green uniforms worn in one picture.  The green protective gear has also been replaced by a newer type.  Each German state maintains their own riot police.  There are 16 states.  There is a Federal office that coordinates riot police activities, uniforms etc.   

Regards,

Gordon

202999.jpg

203007.jpg

RiotSet.jpg