News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MG 15 Saddle Drum magazines and carriier

Gentlemen,

From my collection a rare set of three MG 15 saddle drums with their carrier.  These carriers were used with the MG 15 ground mount kit.

The MG 15 was a German 7.92 mm machine gun designed specifically as a hand manipulated defensive gun for combat aircraft during the early 1930s. By 1941 it was replaced by other types and found new uses with ground troops.  

The MG 15 was developed from the MG 30 which was designed by Rheinmetall using the locking system invented by Louis Stange in the mid to late 1920s. Though it shares the MG 15 designation with the earlier gun built by Bergmann, the MG 15nA (for neuer Art, meaning new model having been modified from an earlier design) has nothing in common with the World War II gun except the model number. The World War I gun used a tipping lock system while the WWII aircraft gun uses a rotating bolt/lockring. The World War II MG 15 was used in nearly all Luftwaffe aircraft with a flexible-mount defensive position.

It was a modular design with various attachments that could be quickly attached or removed. Operation was easy and the bolt remained in the cocked position after expending the 75 round double drum (also called a "saddle drum") magazine, negating the need to re-cock once a fresh magazine was installed.

The pictures show the three magazines in their carrier and the markings on the mags.  I've added a few pictures from the web showing the MG 15 installed in aircraft and how these magazines were mount to the airframe.  Also, pictures of the MG15 configured for the ground mount role.

Regards,

Gordon

DSCF5311.jpg

DSCF5312.jpg

DSCF5316.JPG

DSCF5317.JPG

Ju87-Cockpit-221-1055x1500.jpg

300px-MG-15_ammo_Ju-52.jpg

DSCF5308.JPG

MG15.jpg

mg-15_ground_mount.jpg

Hi Gordon,

Very nice and from what I have been told quite rare to find them with the carrier.  At a show near here I saw one on a dealer's table. I don't think it was a nice as yous, and during the conversation that was being held between the dealer and a possible buyer it was said that the carrier is harder to find than the drums.  I suppose this makes a lot of sense considering in the case of those in carriers it would be a 3 to 1 ratio.

Thanks for posting this interesting and rare item, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your comments.  I always wanted an MG 15 and ground mount kit to go with this set of saddle drums but was never successful.  This is about the last of my firearms collection and I am just posting them for posterity before I sell them.

While I'm at it, lets move on the the MG 13 magazines and their carriers that I have.  I have a single canvas carrier containing three mags that is German marked. The mags are all marked well marked for use with the WR.  I also have a complete carrier with both magazine pouches and the strap that joins them together which is unmarked.

During late twenties and early thirties German arms-making concern Rheinmetall continued domestic developments based on WW1-era designs. By the early 1930s Rheinmetall had modified the 1918 pattern “Dreyse” LMG into a magazine fed, light machine gun which was known as Gerat 13 (device 13). Developed in the light of recommendations from German Army experts, this weapon was thoroughly tested and officially adopted by Wehrmacht as MG 13 in 1932. The MG 13 designation was selected as a disguise, in an attempt to represent a newly developed weapon as an older (1913 pattern) model in the eyes of Allied Control Commission which enforced the Versailles treaty. For a short time the MG 13 became the core of German infantry squad. Initially it was issued with a 25-round curved box magazine, but later on a special 75-round twin drum (Doppeltrommel 13) was developed to provide more sustained firepower, especially for AA missions. This double drum was based on, but not interchangeable with, the similar double-drum magazine developed for Luftwaffe’s MG 15 machine gun, which was widely used on German aircraft as an observer’s weapon.

The MG 13 was withdrawn from service as it was replaced by the MG 34.  The MG 13 was placed into storage or sold to Spain.  Those weapons placed in storage were issued to second line troops late in WWII.

Here are pictures of my MG 13 accessories and some pics of the MG 13 from the net.

Regards,  Gordon  

DSCF5320.jpg

DSCF5321.jpg

DSCF5322.jpg

DSCF5323.JPG

DSCF5324.JPG

DSCF5326.JPG

DSCF5327.JPG

DSCF5337.jpg

DSCF5338.jpg