News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Officer caricatures

Good evening guys,

I came across these two cartoons, published by J.J. Samuels, 371 Strand, W.C.

Although I´m collecting only German related Cartoons  I couldn´t resist to buy these charming cards. Any collector out there who can tell me if there were further cards of this series I have to look for?

Gruß Stefan ;)

HAC.JPG

London Scottish.JPG

These are obviously of known characters from the two Regiments  -  The Honourable Artillery Company and the London Scottish.   They may well have been part of a limited series  -  although these are the first I have seen.    The more usual single caricatures were from the magazine Vanity Fair - which can be quite valuable.   Perhaps one of our members will be able to give us some more info..     Mervyn   

Stefan

Thanks for posting these interesting cards for us to see.

Like Mervyn, I haven't come across this series before. Can you post the reverse of one of them as it can often provide useful information, including dating evidence (as I am sure you already knew). Also, do they have series numbers which might help us?

These are obviously of known characters from the two Regiments  -  The Honourable Artillery Company and the London Scottish.   They may well have been part of a limited series  -  although these are the first I have seen.    The more usual single caricatures were from the magazine Vanity Fair - which can be quite valuable.   Perhaps one of our members will be able to give us some more info..     Mervyn   

​For interest, I am posting here a reproduction of a Vanity Fair caricature as mentioned by Mervyn, that of the Earl of Denbigh, who was Commanding Officer and latterly Colonel-Commandant of the HAC from 1893 to 1933.

In this illustration, Denbigh is wearing the uniform of the then-senior sub-unit, the Horse Artillery (as opposed to the Guards uniform of the infantry battalions of the HAC). From this, we can see that Stefan's caricature captures the spirit of the HAC rather than attempting veracity. Some of the infelicities include the lack of rows of lace (in Royal Horse Artillery style) on the tunic, the wearing of the sword belt over rather than under the tunic and the presence of a cockade on the front of the busby where none should be. The lace on the sleeve and the 'lines' are not quite right, either.

All of that having been said, it doesn't detract from the attractiveness of the card.

2015-05-11_16-14.jpg

Edited by Trooper_D

Hi Mervyn and Tropper,

thank you very much for your illustrative answers. Attached a scan of the adress side of both cards. Unfortunately no serial numbers or anything.

e4decfe8a08e7d913d4cc034aa003ca2.jpg

Edited by IR 134

Stefan

Thanks for posting this new image of the reverse of one of your postcards.

As you may know - but others may find interesting - correspondents were originally forbidden from writing anything other than the address on the back of postcards. Internet sources seem to agree that, in 1902, Great Britain was the first to allow a message on the reverse of a postcard, provided it didn't interfere with the address. To accommodate this requirement, postcards were printed with divided backs, like yours. Hence we can date it to be post-1902.

I'm not sure this helps much with your original query, though :-(

• 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...