News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here's a tradition badge for U-2538, a Type XXI boat. Although there is no provenance on this badge, it matches the description given by Oblt. Heinrich Klapdor in Georg H?gel's book (page 177).

Hello!

Very nice. :cheers:

All the best

Nesredep

• Replies 239
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Sto,

Your photo looks very similar to the artifact in my collection attributed to U-331, which was attached to the 23 U-Flottille from 15 Oct, 1941 - 14 Apr, 1942. I purchased this from Detlev Niemann several years back and I believe it to be a period-made cap badge mounted on a plaque.

Best Regards,

Erik

Hello Eric,

many thanks for your answer.

i hope to call it "My item" on Tuesday.

Your new posted badges are really wounderful!

Now i know what i put on my wish-list for christmas. :rolleyes:

Best regards

Sto

Sto: Thanks for your nice words and good luck with your new acquisition!

Here is a tradition badge for U-403. Gordon's book "Torpedo los!" depicts what appears to be an enameled badge for this boat on page 83: my badge is obviously different. Nonetheless, this badge looks and feels period. Anyone have any thoughts?

• 3 months later...

Andy,

Could be a U-Boat tradition badge, but I couldn't find an exact match in the H?gel book. Here is a well-known photo of Werner Hartmann and some U-37 crew. Note that the trident does not have the same "bend" as yours.

Best Regards,

Erik

Sorry Erik but that photo doesn't show U-37.

It shows U-198 after the return of her first warpatrol.

Left to right : Li. Wessels, Kmdt. Hartmann and Bordarzt Dr. Woerne.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

• 6 months later...

Tradition badge for U-826. No provenance on this one, but I took a chance...

These tradition badge are absolutely stellar gentlemen. All very nice and in such great condition too. Thanks for sharing.

The "laughing sawfish" ain't laughing no more Could have been a caption for that badge.

I also especially liked that shot of the 1st U-boat flotille pin with the sub pens behind it. :rolleyes:

Again, a superb collection gentlemen.

Justin

2dresq

Edited by 2dresq

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

And U-558's "Old Wooden Eye" - in refrence to keeping look out on the conning tower and staying alert. Obviously a tedious and difficult duty being exposed to the elements during the 4 hr. shifts. This is what it all amounted too I think. Spoting a threat and submerging within 30 seconds or spotting targets. "Sei wach holzauge" = tranlated means "wood eye is awake"