• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also Peter,

I have never seen a real 1st U-Flottille style pin in red. The accepted originals are blue. I have seen a lot of fakes in red. Here's mine for comparison.

Erik

Hi Erik..I think this badge represents a single boat- U247. I'd like to have a closer look at the enamelling.

HI Erik...Only what the dealer has stated. Hogel's book shows this type but that could just as easily be the 1st Flotilla emblem.

Point taken...I'll avoid this one I think.

Great pic BTW....I'm still trying to find a period pic to prove this one :whistle:

Edited by Peter Baillie
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete...difficult to say. I had a flick through Georg Hogel's book and came up with these two. I'd say U-1004 stands a better chance especially when you read the entry but without provenence there's no way of knowing.

Hope this helps...Peter

Thanks for that Peter (good name),

All I can remember is that it came with 2 luftwaffe pith helmet eagles! and another (british) badge, and I thought at the time it may be one.

Regards,

Pete

Hm, I'm not even sure where I put it now.

• 3 months later...

Traditions badge for the 24th U-Flotilla and U-748 (ex Italian S5). Just picked this up at the SOS in Louisville KY over the weekend. No provenance except for the story: the seller is an old-time collector from Chicago who used to hang around with Hans Goebler (U-505). Purportedly this badge came from one of Hans' friends. Not much to go on, but the construction looks reasonably period so I took a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andreas..interesting piece. Not the emblem Hogel show's in his book for U-29. That's not to say it isn't period, any providence on this one and can we see a bigger pic or scan of the emblem.

KR.....Peter

Edited by Peter Baillie

Hi Pete...difficult to say. I had a flick through Georg Hogel's book and came up with these two. I'd say U-1004 stands a better chance especially when you read the entry but without provenence there's no way of knowing.

Hope this helps...Peter

Hello Peter,

it´s 100 % not U 1004. I have got a pictureframe with a collage of his awards and

two cap emblems. One is the the cap emblem of U 1004 and it is quite different

from the shown one.

Greatings

Andreas