News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 92
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go out on a limb and say I think the ones shown by Chip and Moi (Posts 65 + 67) are maybe wartime ones. They seem to be made of material of lesser quality than the ones we see on prewar photos. The one I posted belonged to a man who joined the 73rd Füsilier in late 1917. Any thoughts?

I am going to go out on another limb and pose a theory that late in the war many new arrivals did not even get one of these. I have seen quite a few photos over the years where a good portion of the men in a group are not wearing a title. Does anyone else have the feeling that Ersatz troops shuttled to the regiments probably or may not have recieved them?

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 05:38, Chris Boonzaier said:

I am going to go out on another limb and pose a theory that late in the war many new arrivals did not even get one of these. I have seen quite a few photos over the years where a good portion of the men in a group are not wearing a title. Does anyone else have the feeling that Ersatz troops shuttled to the regiments probably or may not have recieved them?

I could agree with this theory.  Late in the war so much of the uniform has been streamlined and reduced to the minimum -by necessity and experience.  There are so many war-time demands on materials (cloth) and time, why spend it on superfluous insignia to fill-in troops. I would also imagine, that had Germany ended the war successfully, they would have returned to the cuff-title. 

10 hours ago, Chip said:

Hey Dante,

Did you sell your house and move? If you have, let's see those field gray straps you promised. :)

Chip

Yes all sold and in the US....collection (and house contents!) on the high seas as we speak...offer in on a house as soon as possible will post (also the new and hopefully enlarged study !!! 

• 2 years later...
    On 06/07/2018 at 10:27, Claudius said:

Marvellous photo!

Indeed very interesting !  Three senior NCOs , and an officer , The officer , wearing a litewka appears to belong to another regiment . Why ? well, the helmet badge looks as Saxon , and he carries a different type of sabre. 

• 1 year later...
    • 10 months later...