News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SAAF - Captain V.A.Donnolly

Hi all,

I am trying to research two medals that I have here. If any of you have some information about this man below or can add here some facts that would suite into my initial text, please let me know. Also, is it possible to confirm what another medals he was entitled (I know missing Victory medal). Finally, how much usually WW2 period SAAF cap badges cost? I am looking one for a display with his medals.

Victor Albert Donnolly (1897 – 31.03.1943)

Captain

WW1 SA Irish regiment and 2nd CC corps

WW2 South African Air Force

Victor Albert Donnolly was son of Robert and Harriet I. C. Donnolly. He was married with Ruby Donnolly, of Bloemfontein, Orange Free State, South Africa.

Victor saw service with the SA Irish Regiment and 2nd CC corps as a NCO. He later on joined the South African Air Force (SAAF) after it was established at the 1 February 1920. He had a very low service number P/204 that I presume indicates early recruitment. He was commissioned and rose to the rank of Captain.

He died when he fell out of Hawker Hartbees aeroplane during thest flight near Eastleigh Nairobi in 31 March 1943. He is buried in the Nairobi War Cemetery.

Hawker Hartbees SAAF.jpg

Grave photo.jpg

WP_004099.jpg

WP_004098.jpg

Donnolly's service papers should be in archives in Pretoria, where they can be copied by a local researcher.  Audrey of Rhino Research (aud on this forum) could do that for you.  The WWII papers will confirm his medal entitlement, but I suggest they would be 39/45 Star, Africa Star, War Medal, Africa Service Medal.  WWII period SAAF badges are relatively easy to find in South Africa, and, given the current ZA Rand/GBP exchange rate, would be cheap.  If there is nothing on eBay, try the South African site bidorbuy.

Brett

Thank you Brett. I am hoping to get his papers from previous owner who had them but lost them in the house :). But I am always more fascinated of the unconventional research opportunities - local newspaper archives, aviation enthusiasts collected information, etc.

Thank you again,

Timo 

Timo

If you have not already done so, you might try putting Donnolly's name in the search facility of the South African National Archives.  If you search under the heading for all archive repositories (RSA, as I remember it) you will find all the files under the name Donnolly and the repository where they are housed.   It is not a common name, so hopefully there will not be too many file titles to search through. If you do find any relevant to Victor Albert, you will probably need to get a local researcher to copy them for you.  I have heard that Archives' staff will sometimes do this, but I am doubtful given the level of service from public sector employees in the new democratic South Africa.

Regards

Brett

Timo  -  Brett's advice on research is very good  -  and well worth the effort.   There is something wrong with the report that says he 'fell out of the aircraft' ?     They were strapped in and I can't think of many times that the pilot or navigator would just - 'fall out'.    Perhaps if he was standing to clear a Lewis Gun action , or, to deal with an emergency there would be a risk in rough weather.  The other alternative would be he jumped ?   The papers should have the official enquiry reports and I think we will all be interested to learn the reason.    Mervyn

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys for your replies. I had been away from the forum due to my final exams, thesis and short holiday in Spain. But now I am back!

I haven't done any future research of him and I think I leave it at the moment until I get my new collection theme sorted out. I will like to start looking aviation related awards as well but I may focus only to the awards that has more civilian aeronautical connections. But lets see!

Thank you again guys,

Timo

• 2 years later...

I have him as falling out of the aircraft as well, he was not strapped in, one or two others also fell out of their aircraft.

One other who fell out of his future brother in laws aircraft, explain that to your sister.

• 3 years later...

Hello Noor

I have just come across this post - I see it is from many years ago now. Capt. Victor Donnolly was my great-grandfather. My father owned these medals so I am amazed to see them here. He passed away in 2016, but prior to his death was never able to explain where the medals disappeared to. We think he either sold them for cash or they were stolen from him (and then entered the market) and he didn't want to tell us. I am not looking to get the medals back, but am just glad that they are now in the collection of someone who values them. There were many more medals, a whole box in fact, all of them gone - we have no idea where or if they were all belonging to Victor Donnolly. I unfortunately don't have any more details about him than you have. Hope you have found out more information. Enjoy!