News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Order of the Rose

Thanks Lambert, I did see an Austrian made Knight's badge which was 34mm wide, probably made to fit in with the recipient's other orders. But yes you are correct that Brazilian made pieces  appear to be made to the same size specification.

Paul 

Thank Paul.

I will show more interesting photos for you to file

5621064ec122c_Badge_and_collar_Imperial_

Badge and collar Imperial Order of the Rose, Grand Cross  National Maritime Museum

562106c7037ab_D._Pedro_2_em_seu_leito_de

D. Pedro II, on his deathbed, Paris, France, 1891. Dressed in the uniform of the army marshal and awarded the Order of the Rose

Historias-dos-Campos-Gerais-do-Parana-GU

Paraguayan War "volunteers Patria" (Brazil) with its Order of the Rose, decorated for courage and Campaign Medal.

Cheers

Lambert

Love the collar never seen one before. I have always felt sorry for Dom Pedro II he seems to have been a thoroughly decent chap who cared for his people but his final reward from them was the order of the boot with oak leaves and diamonds. Nice Paraguay war photo.

Thanks lambert,

Paul

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

What a fantastic topic and only one that I've just stumbled across. The Order of the Rose would certainly be one, if not the most, attractive order ever instituted. It's certainly one that I've always wished to add to the collection.

Congratulations Lambert on finally acquiring one. I know this is something you've had your heart set on for a many years!

Hello Gavin ! my friend.

Yes, I keep pretty safe in the special box in my collection. I do not intend to continue collecting (for now) Imperial Order Brazilian or Paraguayan War, but this is one of orders I could not fail to have.

Cheers

Lambert

• 10 months later...

Major Francisco de Siqueira Cavalcanti.

15380298_704162693085478_5607704841292366885_n.jpg

Major Pedro de Alcântara Tibério Capistrano

15338866_704569749711439_3233311982665096594_n.jpg
    1st Row

Order of St. Benedict of Aviz (Brazil)
    Medal of Reward for Military Bravery (Brazil)
    Medal to the Winners of Del Yatay (Uruguay)
    Medal of the Campaign of Paraguay (Brazil).

2nd Row:

Order of Lord Jesus Christ (Brazil)
    Medal of the Uruguayan Campaign 1851/1852 or Monte Caseros Medal (Brazil)
    Order of the Rose (Brazil)
    Plate of Dignitary of the Order of the Rose (Brazil)

Right side: Medal of the Surrender of Uruguaiana (Brazil).

• 1 year later...
    On 16/10/2015 at 05:22, paul wood said:

Thanks Lambert, I did see an Austrian made Knight's badge which was 34mm wide, probably made to fit in with the recipient's other orders. But yes you are correct that Brazilian made pieces  appear to be made to the same size specification.

Paul 

Hi Paul

The Austrian made Rose have hallmarks or some other indication that led you to put the manufacture as A-H? The reason asking is recently acquired such an example having 34mm of high quality and assumed French origin.  Have you access to that foto still? It never occurred to me that I could have a Rothe or Mayer made one.  Thanks

Brian

• 4 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 31/05/2015 at 02:47, Hugh said:

I've shown this elsewhere on the forum, but couldn't resist another chance to show off my baby.  I just love this piece.  As you can see, I got it at the OMSA show in Jacksonville, Florida in 2008.  It was outrageously expensive and worth every penny.  I used to travel regularly to Brasil for business, but never saw anything like this.  Any comments on whether this is likely to be an efetivo or onorario or are the insignia the same?

BRAZIL – Imperial Order of the Rose (Ordem Imperial da Rosa) – Grand Cross set with sash badge, silver gilt, medallions gold, both sides enameled, roses painted.  Size 48 x 78 mm without ring, two roses on reverse chipped – VF

Star – 64 x 84 mm, both exquisite detail.  Sash is faded. 

You'll see that the dimensions differ from Lambert's data above.  Variant from a different manufacturer, I suppose. Or perhaps it's really a Grao Dignitario. Unfortunately, I didn't look for a maker's mark before framing it.  

BR - Rose (after)  2  .JPG

BR - HBT Rose 1  - OMSA 08 .JPG

BR - HBT Rose 3  - OMSA 08 .JPG

BR - HBT Rose 2  - OMSA 08 .JPG

Amazing Set Thanks

Have about 20 meters of synthetic sash ribbon apparently made in the past 10 years for Da Costa or other makers of modern insignia.  Note ribbon edges [chain stitch not warp/weft].   Anyone wanting to buy some [about 2.5 to 3 meters generally adequate to make a sash] kindly contact me.   

rose sash 001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
    On 16/10/2015 at 03:14, lambert said:

hello Paul

Michael is correct. ALL Order Knights are of the same size, different from the order for commanders is "normal" size.  I found some pictures for comparison.

condecoracao.thumb.jpg.5e3f17bbbc3468b89

_BBD6486_g.thumb.jpg.d013b5a8ed3040ef9fb

Or_e_mini.thumb.jpg.6f80b51022d5dd959e17

Miniature and Knights

Ordem_da_rosa_1.thumb.jpg.437b446c602b71

more

Imperial-Ordem-da-Rosa.thumb.jpg.f5e6e88

Imagem_098.thumb.jpg.e978e1fc34b25ca95d5

Amazing