News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pour le Merite winner Adolf Steinwachs

• 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...

Hello to all in this post,

my hobby is genealogy - I search for Steinwachs all over the world - and found today this post. Great pictures! It is not my direct line, but I have a few informations about him.  So when you are interrested: .....

Adolf Oktav Raven was the son of George Leonhard Karl Steinwachs, was born May 15, 1868 in Konstanz, Baden. His father was then a Captain in Prince Wilhelm Regiment in Konstanz. From the Cadet Corps, Adolf in 1884 joined the 68th Regiment at Koblenz, soon receiving his commission as 2nd Lieutenant. After many commands, he joined the 142nd Regiment Oct 12, 1912. In July 1914 he headed the 144th Regiment at Metz. He fought with his regiment in the front lines during the first battles of World War I. In summer of 1916, he took command of the 75th Regiment Infantry. May 2, 1917 he received the order "Pour-le-Merite", along with the highest Prussian War decoration. He also  possessed the highest decoration of Baden, the"Ritterkreuz" (Knight-cross). During the last months of the war, he was commander of the 62nd Regiment. At the end of  April 1919, as Lt. Col. he assembled the 13th Regiment from the 1st and 3rd battalions. In 1920 he formed the 14th Regiment from the 6th of Baden, and commanded it until end of 1923--at the same time being Area Commander of Baden.
    He retired in 1923 with rank of Major General. On May 21, 1896 he married Auguste Merkens.
    Auguste was born in Wurzburg on May 22, 1870. Adolf died in 1945 in Baden Baden and is buried in the main cemetery there. Some records of him are in the Historical Museum in Neue Schloss in Baden Baden. Adolf and Auguste bore two children:  a. Heinz Eugen, born Oct 5, 1897 in Neuss(hier stand erst Neuf/Lesefehler von Bill??). In 1926 he married Ruth von Ribbentrop in Munich. Ruth was born on Apr 12, 1905.    b. Grete, born Aug 3, 1900 in Koblenz.

Greetings  Wolfgang