News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Maybe my favourite cross maker....

Agree. Chris. This is a great design and very "classic" in my opinion. I just sold one recently - it was to a guy who was not an EK collector, just someone looking to put one on an SA uniform. It really seemed to play the part - something I would imagine on a 1920s or 30s SA tunic.

Here is the cross next to a WWII era screwback

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

Is Frank & Reif accepted as a WW1 maker again? Many years ago I called up the firm and had an old gentleman on the line (I cant remember, but I think it was a Herr Reif), he told me Frank & Reif did not make iron Crosses 14-18, and that it was a stamping company as opposed to a jeweller. I think It was also mentioned that back in 14-18 the company had a different name, but dont quote me on that...

For me that more or less put a lid on them being WW1 Makers.

Of course, Info given by an old employee is not proof, but I have always believed that someone somewhere once went through the list of initials and just matched up known badge maker names. The same list still has the old KO Lemon of Königliche blah blah.

Best

Chris

Edited by Chris Boonzaier

What I miss in that discussion is the fact, that there was nobody who would take one Fr. marked cross and one FR marked cross and compare them. If there is no frame match and no hardware match, what the heaven they are talking about when guessing it was one maker? And if there is a match... why they wasted their time?

Hi,

I think like with many discussions a thread developes in a number of directions with various points being discussed.

I dont have the crosses needed to compare, I guess what is needed is one of the collectors who can recognise frames and cores at night 10m underwater ;-)