News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I cant find him in the 1925 or 1929 Rangliste so he may have been in the Police during the Weimar period. Perhaps if someone has a 1930s Rangliste he may appear there. The combination of awards is not rare so even finding him in the Rangliste doesn't prove much, except that it confirms the awards.

Have you more information to offer? For example, how did you come by this name in the first place?

There is an Oberst a.D. von Rudgisch in the 1926 Ehren Rangliste but no way if this is the same man.

Kind regards
    Pierce

von Rudgisch.jpg

Edited by P.F.

This is part of a Naval grouping. The name is scratched into the back of one of the badges. I found the first name by searching online. Seems he sailed into the 1960's. I thought he may be easy to find as he has the 25 year LS. 

I am assuming that this a grouping and I must mention that. It all comes from one source and there was nothing that did not fit like a Luft badge or something that is clearly not associated. 

Ah...I assume he was Army. I will search the Navy Rangliste now.

This other info would have saved me a little time.

Though I don't believe I have ever come across a KM ribbon bar with the Eastern Front medal...and KM ribbon bars are my main collecting focus....

No sign of him in any of the Naval Rangliste. I would be quite sure he was not in the Kriegsmarine. I think your man was in the Heer. I cannot confirm the name but perhaps someone with some of the 1930s Heer Rangliste can have a look for him.

Kind regards
    Pierce

I thought the Ost front was a bit odd also. I'll post a photo of everything I purchased. There is a small pin for the Destroyer badge and the Narvik shield. 

The bars are sew on style and have a light grey backing in the style of Godet. I guess this could be a mixed grouping out of a family or just some stuff a GI picked up and I'm trying to make it a grouping. I am just trying to confirm the grouping suspicion so that I can keep the pieces together if that is how they belong. If not I will put them into my collection in several different cases as per my display organization,

Thanks for your help so far! It is truly appreciated.

Can you post a photo of the reverse of the bars too please?

Yes, it could just be different parts of one family grouping, or most likely just a random assortment brought back after the War. I have one more book to check (Heer) for this name.

Here is the photo for Pierce.

Too bad the name on the badge is lost to time.

Thank you very much for looking into this for me. I greatly appreciate it. I will have to abandon my thoughts of having a group and enjoy the individual pieces for what they are.

IMG_0420.JPG

Edited by CRBeery

• 4 weeks later...

My thoughts on this: This grouping belonged to two different members of the same family. There is an EK 1939 as a single ribbon bar and an EK 1914 on the large bar, these must have been awarded to different individuals. The navy items probably belonged to one person, much younger than the other, who the large bar belonged to. 

The name you found in the Ehrenrangliste seems to be Oberst Bruno von Rüdgisch .

There are at least 25 years of service on the ribbon bar so Oberst would fit. I found the Dieter from an obituary near where the grouping was found. He was sailing into the 60's commercially. It could be father and son but in reality I will never know. Thanks for the insight.

• 4 weeks later...

Another von Rudgisch but still not my guy. Maybe it is a Grandfather, Father, and then the wayward Naval son! The badge is a cool piece and I wanted to put some history to it. Was there an Imperial equivalent? 

I had one further thought on this piece- it is one of the only TR pieces I can think of that did not have a swastika on it. The  same design was used post war. This badge is the war time type but could have been a surplus piece that was not issued until after 1945. His name would not be in the wartime references. 

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I still haven't given up on this yet. I found more of the supposed name:DIETER WALTER EBERHARD von RUDGISCH-BALLAS.

How would this be listed? As v Rudgisch  or as Ballas or both?

he was born in Berlin in 1917. Fits for a WW2 guy. Sailed commercially until around 1970.

Edited by CRBeery

I've looked up that obituary you mentioned. It lists a brother Hans-Jürgen Ballas, which makes me believe that Dieter's original last name was just "Ballas" and that he maybe added his wife's name "von Rüdgisch" to it.

• 3 months later...

There was a guy named Richard Ballas in the German Army, born 1886.

in 1914 1st Lt in Foot Artillery Regiment 6, ended WW1 as Major, recalled for WW2 as half-Colonel.

Thanks to Dave D. - I can confirm all the awards on the bar - except the Austrian and Hungarian WW1-commemorative medals.

Greetings

Daniel

First, thanks to Daniel and Dave for looking into this further. I did get much more material from the family since this initial post. It would seem that the ribbon bar and Silesien eagle are from Ballas. Nothing else has his name so unfortunately that may be all that survived. The Silesien eagle looks to have Breslau and 1919 scratched into it.

There is much more information on the gentleman Pierce shows in post #2 here:

• 4 years later...
    On 11/09/2015 at 00:31, ottomanmedal said:

This Ottoman Empire Silver Buyuk Imtiyaz Medal (Grand Medal of Distinction) was named to Mirliva (Major General) Von Rüdgisch Pasha on 1899.

11760043_10153536328904701_1422482619129408263_n.jpg

5FA16333-20E6-4104-B843-23B6FB6A8C99.png

His personal silver seal with his name engraved.