News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I think all of us have, in our collections, items that are of minimal monetary value, but are treasured by us none the less. Years ago, I was given a copy of the Police Orders for the funeral procession of Sir Winston Churchill. It included a map of the procession route as well as vouchers for the officer's meal and refreshments while he was on duty. I assume that pretty much everybody on the force was expected  to turn out for such an event, regardless of their normal shift assignments.

Were snacks and the 'main meal' provided by caterers provided by the Department, or were the men expected to find a bite to eat as best he could? Logistics for such an event must have been a nightmare. I remember watching the whole thing on television, and such earthy concerns as food, drink, and bathroom breaks never occurred to me. 

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

Police have very good catering and 'bathroom' breaks built into the schedule .  Refreshment vans have always been available to public events when I was on duty.

Some little distance back - on this section is interesting cover on Queen Victoria's chaotic funeral.  She had lived for so long, that no-one alive had ever taken part in a Sovereign's funeral.    Mervyn