News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Surrender or visit???

Bernhard,

I don't know, but the diplomatic corp had me thinking some sort of visit together with the fact the 'enemy' is armed (pre war?) and the senior German looks to be in ceremonial dress?  Not sure but I am always interested in your input on these things since you were around then and often see things through different eyes.

Could it be towards the end of the war, two high ranking officers being flown to liberated Belgium instead of hanging around in Berlin waiting for the inevitable? Or perhaps to talk terms of surrender? Interesting indeed.

It's difficult to tell from the photo if the Belgians are all wearing WWI helmets, if so, would there have been enough available for wear in 1945?

Tony

I would go with some sort of early/pre war burial. Is that a coffin in between the two soldiers at the front? If it was nearer the end of the war I'd imagine that the Germans would be wearing more awards, especially the flyer in the front - or no awards at all.

Edited by hucks216

I didn't even notice that it is perhaps a coffin or more by the looks?  Perhaps the burial of some WW1 German soldiers that had been found and then with German representatives?  Don't know just though just thought they were interesting.

• 1 year later...

Hello : Its a burial . and pre war , Belgian are well dressed , the german general and the diplomat wears social dress ,strangely the german pilot is in flight suit . many belgian officers are present and appears to belong to the Belgian Air Force . whose officers used grey blue uniforms . The coffin bearers are soldiers or NCOs ,same the honor guard , the ocassion ? one the re burial of some ww1 german deads , other , the funeral of the crew of a german plane crashed on belgian territory . perhaps in that case the german pilot could be a survivor .