News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion Service Records 1914-18

Michael Johnson

The following post was made over on the British Medal Forum. 

I had a phone call last week from a chap who keeps his eyes open for me, he had been offered a dilapidated framed group of medals centred on a photo which had faded to nothing in the sunlight, according to a plaque set into the frame the recipient was a British lad named Ralph Genn. The family advised that he was born in SE London in 1890 into a reasonably "well to do" family but joined the French Foreign Legion aged 17 in 1897/98, served through the Great War with the Legion both in Indo-China, North Africa and Verdun, wounded twice, awarded the Medaille Militaire and several French medals and according to my contact a British Silver War Badge. Believe it or not I have found an MIC for that SWB as well and it does say French Foreign Legion for his unit !

It is believed that an identically framed group to his brother Cecil, six years younger, was extant a decade or so back, (he has the seller trying to locate this) that was a 1914-15 Star trio with an MSM, he was a Wireless linesman who served in the Middle East in the Great War and then volunteered for Murmansk where he earned an MSM. The family story is that a couple of years after the Great War Cecil joined a merchant ship in London's Victoria Dock and worked his passage to South America to earn big money in the Wireless Telegraph business but disappeared in the jungles in Bolivia or Peru and was never heard from again.

Legionnaire Ralph apparently returned home after the war, discharged due to wounds and married, living out his life in Greenwich, dying in 1958.

I am desperately trying to get some pics and the full story and hoping to buy it before the lady departs for her second home in Italy for the next 6 months, she apparently hopes to settle permanently out there.

I had no idea that a SWB could be awarded like that !

In the event, it appears his claim for a SWB was rejected, since he wasn't serving in a British or Empire unit. One member suggested that he write to the Legion's HQ in Marseille.  Do any of our anciens have an opinion of his chances of success (assuming that Genn was born over 120 years ago)?

Michael

In the event, it appears his claim for a SWB was rejected, since he wasn't serving in a British or Empire unit. One member suggested that he write to the Legion's HQ in Marseille.  Do any of our anciens have an opinion of his chances of success (assuming that Genn was born over 120 years ago)?

Hello Michael

To answer your question, there is probably no way to get any information from the Foreign Legion. The rule is : information about legionnaires are private.

This is based on the rule that previous life of legionnaires are their own business. Their time with the Legion is a part of their lives they are free to communicate but no one is supposed to do so without their avail.

The Foreign Legion Headquaters are in Aubagne, close to Marseilles but a different city.

Sorry I cannot be more encourageing. But since you asked ...  Hopefully some other ex-legionnaire may be more optimistic.

Veteran