News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Award numbers Baden Gold Militärverdienst Medal

According to Neal O'connor aviation awards of imperial Germany in World War 1. Volume VI Baden and Oldenburg

large gold merit medal:

1869-1881, 54

1882-1907, 199

1908-1918, 61

small gold merit medal:

1869-1881, 403

1882-1907, 2,400

1908-1918, 1,418

Small gold merit medal on the karl friedrich ribbon for the war of 1870, 6

Small gold merit medal on the karl friedrich ribbon for the china expedition 1902 and southwest africa 1905/06, 4

Small gold merit medal on the karl friedrich ribbon 1908-1918, 395

cheers,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

thanks a million,

can you help me on the difference between these?

small gold merit medal:

1869-1881, 403

1882-1907, 2,400

1908-1918, 1,418

Small gold merit medal on the karl friedrich ribbon for the war of 1870, 6

Small gold merit medal on the karl friedrich ribbon for the china expedition 1902 and southwest africa 1905/06, 4

Small gold merit medal on the karl friedrich ribbon 1908-1918, 395

citing the same source.

The Military Merit Medals Gold and Silver could be awarded for both civil and military merit with the ribbon being the distinction. The civil award had a rich yellow gold ribbon. The Military award for bravery was on the ribbon of the military karl freidrich merit order a similiar ribbon with a wide red stripe in the center and thin white strip on either edge.

i hope that helps:)

chuck

The table cites 1908-1918 I would assume all awards made to the military were made between 1914-18 as the Karl Friedrich ribbon was used for awards made during a conflict (1870, China, Africa WW1).

395 according to the source that o'conner used (Badens Orden, henning volle, 1976).

Chuck

I do not believe it ranks above the Karl Friedrich medal. O'conner states that there were airman proposed for the small gold medal who were upgraded to the silver Karl Friedrich  medal but in most cases down graded to the silver merit medal.

Does the gold rank above the silver Karl Friedrich medal?

Hi,

I am guessing different Criteria? Silver Karl Friedrich for Bravery, the Small gold medal for Service (on the Karl Friedrich ribbon for Military)? Feldwebel duties etc?

Both examples I have seen are for Feldwebel, so not really combattant.

Hi Chris,

this is the kleine goldene Verdienstmedaille Friedrich II am Bande des militärischen Karl Friedrich Verdienst Ordens.

No rolls known. You have to look through the badischen Staatsanzeiger.

http://h2385226.stratoserver.net/wbb3/board29-themenforum/board30-allgemeines-sammlerforum/65852-baden-goldene-verdienstmedaille-friedrich-ii-verleihungslisten/#post414741

Kind regards

Andreas

• 4 years later...
    On 10/08/2015 at 13:53, Chris Boonzaier said:

Is there a roll for known recipients?

Sure there is. Late Erhard Roth, who gives 402 awards (instead of here quoted 395 awards) in the "Great War", lists all names, ranks, units and award dates. His award numbers, however, are known to be incomplete, lacking the last months of 1918 as those weren't published anymore.

The book, covering most of Baden's bravery and war awards besides the war merit cross and such, seems to be available: Roth, Erhard: Verleihungen von militärischen Orden und Ehrenzeichen des Großherzogtums Baden im Ersten Weltkrieg 1914 - 1918. Offenbach, PHV-Verlag, 1997.

:whistle:

On 10/08/2015 at 08:54, Chris Boonzaier said:

I am guessing different Criteria? Silver Karl Friedrich for Bravery, the Small gold medal for Service (on the Karl Friedrich ribbon for Military)? Feldwebel duties etc?

Yes and no. Both, as well as the standard silver merit medal, were given for acts of bravery. The merit medals on the Karl Friedrich ribbon were intended for minor acts of bravery, while the name engraved Militärische Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstmedaille was reserved for acts of outstanding bravery - or for NCOs/EM that had previously won an EK1!

Edited by saschaw