News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Decoration Militaire Belgium

• Replies 58
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The case shows "2nd Class", so not sure if the Article 4 had the same cases as the long service awards, but the case is fitted for this type medal.

I do not think this box is the correct one for this Article 4 medal. the box seems more to me, like a box for labour decorations

Here an example of a correct 'Décoration Militaire' box, in particular a Second Class medal

f_grpn6tkqm_305ac0e.jpg

kind regards,

Detlev

Hi Detlev,

Thanks for the response! Well, I am not so sure to rule this one out just yet. I have found that many of the medals, along with the cases, have differences between makers. Keep in mind the Military Decoration has went through a wide variety of changes over the course of it's history and I'm sure the case has as well, not to mention the difference in manufacturers.

I can say this, the case inside is inlaid where the medal sits and it's a near perfect fit in shape and size around the cross and crown. The case top only shows the "2nd Class" motto, but I have not seen any other examples other than the one you just shown, so I will continue to wait and see what others come in with. Hopefully. :cheers:

Tim

I wanted to add; Detlev may be correct, I honestly do not know at this point on the case, so by all means, if anyone else knows one way or the other, please let me know. I may try to contact the seller on it if need be. Cases can be added over the years by just about anyone, so... :unsure:

Edited by Tim B

Detlev & Uwe

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and giving your thoughts and knowledge on this. :beer:

There is not a lot of information out there that I have found that shows the myriad of different boxes, cases, palms, or half a dozen other things. Sometimes the information can be unwanted, even painful, but it needs to be said in order to get the correct information out there for collectors. Thanks again for the help! :cheers:

The seller is also learning Belgian awards and she was unaware of the discrepancy. As such, after coming to a mutually agreed upon remedy, I have kept the medal and got some money refunded! I also gave here some help in identifying a restrike on one of her Fire Cross, again thanks to the knowledge sharing here by yet another collector! :beer:

Tim

Nice pictures.

here a quick snap of my 'Décoration Militaire' collection, with explicite thanks to Guy Deploige and his love.gif website, which has made it possible to me to determine the different types.

On the picture:

1: type Leopold II (first 2 on the left: 1873-1900, last 3: 1900-1910)

2: type Albert I 'Single A'

3: type Albert I 'Double A'

4: type Leopold III

5: type from Boudewijn on (from 1950 on, but without tose made from 1950 till 1952)

banger.gif The gaps in between are the missing links

f_grpn7xr1m_4dd1a05.jpg

Looking good you two!

Guy, again, your website has been a goldmine of information! :beer:

Detlev :lol: That's why I thought I would start with something simple like the Fire Cross; too many variations in the MD, and still I ended up getting more than I bargined for. :D

Tim

Here is a raised bubble double Albert. The "A" sits on a raised dome. It is my favorite of the different samples in my collection.

Dear James

This model is a LII where the center of the back has been modified, see

http://users.telenet.be/deploige/OMD-DM/Francais/Albert/Hybride-2.html

Guy

Detlev & Uwe

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and giving your thoughts and knowledge on this. :beer:

There is not a lot of information out there that I have found that shows the myriad of different boxes, cases, palms, or half a dozen other things. Sometimes the information can be unwanted, even painful, but it needs to be said in order to get the correct information out there for collectors. Thanks again for the help! :cheers:

The seller is also learning Belgian awards and she was unaware of the discrepancy. As such, after coming to a mutually agreed upon remedy, I have kept the medal and got some money refunded! I also gave here some help in identifying a restrike on one of her Fire Cross, again thanks to the knowledge sharing here by yet another collector! :beer:

Tim

Dear Tim

for the boxes see also

http://users.telenet.be/deploige/OMD-DM/Francais/Albert/doos.html

Guy

You may be right but the sample you linked me to is a flat topped dome. Mine is fully domed which is hard to see on my sample view from the top.rolleyes.gif Mine is fully domed like the the smile face in this email. Thank you.

Dear James

This model is a LII where the center of the back has been modified, see

http://users.telenet.../Hybride-2.html

Guy

Guy,

Thanks for the additional link/information! :cheers:

I'm trying to limit my collecting to the military side of the house with a few exceptions. As such, I do not have a real need for the case posted above. Does anybody need it for one of their medals? PM or email me and we can work something out if interested. The case is in pretty good shape, it does have a slight warp to it, but it's not bad. Need to see more PICS, let me know.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Here is a "sleeper" Decoration Militaire recently acquired on eBay at a very reasonable price. It was emphatically described as a Leopold III version, but its picture clearly showed it was a Leopold II medal. When received, it turned out to be the design of 1900-1910. The points of the bottom cross arm are bent upward, and its ring is deformed, but it is a finely struck cross with crisp details.

Would the Club members agree that its reverse center most closely resembles Guy Depoige's type IV??. Is the later Leopold II medal (1900-10) more difficult to find, compared to the Albert and Leopold III medals??

Hello,

Yes, I was watching this one as well, nice score! IMO, you are correct that this is a Type 4 of the Leopold II. I figure closer to 1910 timeframe. I loved the patina on this one but the dented arm tips and money I have out for other items at the moment forced me to leave this one be.

Again, very nice! :cheers:

Tim

• 2 months later...

I had a difficult time trying to cross it over using Guy's site matrix and finally asked Guy if this might be a totally different "type" from the various examples he shows and ... it is. :cheers: I'm guessing, based on the die traits, it might fall between the "Types 6 & 7", but it's anyone's guess as there are probably several makers of these.

Tim

• 1 year later...

Hello to all,

Here is my single contribution to this fascinating thread.

A Leopold II variety that I have tentatively identified as a 1900-1910, Type II according to Mr Deploige's web site. These are my first attempts at photographs instead of scans. This example is part of a group of 5 to a Belgian soldier I am currently researching.

I am not sure if this is the correct box but the medal did come in this box when the group arrived.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

The case appears to be a black colour although that may not appear to be apparent from the photographs. The markings inside of the box indicate a Fisch & Cie produced variety.

Fisch & Cie, 40.me Antioine Dansaert

.Bruxelles.Bourse.

Edited by RobW

The medal itself has a slight iridescent finish on both sides but has not been polished at all. While there is a slight bend in the lower right arm the medal is good condition considering its age.

Edited by RobW

What has intrigued me about this example is the presence on the reverse of a small triangle shaped mark in between 'Merite' and 'Anciennete'. While there is some contact marks and rubbing present on the lower reverse I do not believe that the mark is attributable to that.

I have viewed the mark through a magnifier and a glass and it appears to be some form of hallmark inside although I cannot make out the detail.

I noted the other Leopold II examples posted here and on Mr Deploige's site do not appear to have or show this mark so I am intrigued.

I would appreciate any and all views on what this mark could be or represent.

Regards,

Rob