News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Singapore state decorations and awards pre-1996

achern

Wonderful article and your photographs are indeed terrific.  They used to have a display of these ODM in the MinDef building, unfortunately not accessible to most people, and before that in the Ordnance and Defence company.  SIngapore's ODM are not easy to collect, partly because they have strict rules governing distribution and partly because there just aren't very many of them.  

Squadron Leader O'Toole, mentioned in the article is also the author of Malayan Orders and Decorations, together with Haji Abdul Mubin Sheppard.  It's a small book, but has excellent illustrations and discussion of the ODM.  

I've attached a picture of another early Singapore / Malaysia award, the Singapore  Uniformed Services of Malaysia Medal (Independence) '63.  I have no other information on this, but assume it was awarded in the period after Malayan independence, but before the kicked Singapore out of Malaysia.   I'd love it if someone had more information.  

MA 32 Singapore  Uniformed Svcs of Malaysia Medal (Independence) '63 .JPG

Edited by Hugh
    More info

Thanks for this, Megan.  This was the day before Malaysian Independence, and well before Singapore's expulsion (9 August 1965).  

I got my example of this medal in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, so I assume it must have been awarded to a Pakistani serving in Singapore who subsequently retired in Pakistan.  

• 11 months later...

Thank you all for the comments. I had great fun photographing these pieces as they are near-impossible to come by these days. There are two medals I did not include in this article - the Defence Medal (yellow ribbon with stripes), and the Uniformed Services Malaysia Medal which Hugh kindly posted.