News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I just read an article online from the American Journal of Public Health (2008) entitled: "Chemical Warfare and Medical Response During World War I"  A decent article and worth a read if interested in the topic.  The article states, "April 22, 1915, members of a special unit of the German Army opened the valves on more than 6000 steel cylinders arrayed in trenches along their defensive perimeter at Ypres, Belgium. Within 10 minutes, 160 tons of chlorine gas drifted over the opposing French trenches, engulfing all those downwind. Filled with pressurized liquid chlorine, the cylinders had been clandestinely installed by the Germans more than 3 weeks earlier. The order to release the gas was entrusted to German military meteorologists, who had carefully studied the area’s prevailing wind patterns."

My question is this: What branch was this "special unit"?  Engineers?  What German units were responsible for employing gas warfare (other than artillery)?

Here are a couple aerial photos (from the internet) of the gas being released from the cylinders...

The first chemical attack using chlorine gas by the Germans during the Second Battle of Ypres.  April 22, 1915, members of a special unit of the German Army opened the valves on more than 6000 steel cylinders filled with pressurized liquid chlorine deployed in trenches at Ypres, Belgium. Within 10 minutes, 160 tons of chlorine gas drifted over the opposing trenches and surprised the French troops.

German gas attack seen from the air, The Illustrated London News, 15 December 1918.  This is likely chlorine gas being released from pressurized steel cylinders arrayed in trenches.  The gas relied on wind to be carried in the direction of the enemy trenches.

Thanks, Chris!  I did a GMIC search on "gas" and "chemical", but got nada.  But I knew this had been discussed somewhere before.

German wikipedia has a great article on Pionierregiment (Pionierbataillon) 35 and it's role as the first gas warfare unit. 

All I needed was that azimuth!  Thanks again.

Herbert Cron's book has a decent piece too...  With Pionierbataillon 39 being added in Feb 18 and Pionierbataillon 94-96.  He also wrote there were finally 8 battalions in total, but with the numbered ones mentioned, totals only 6.  Oh, Cron and his numbers.

Hello!

The first gas companies were named "Desinfektionstruppen" or "Pionier-Formationen des Oberst Petersen"

The first order to form a regiment was 29.3.1915. That regiment was Pi.Rgt.35 (two bataillons with 3 companies each).

Then came the Pi.Rgt.36 wit the same structure,. Both were independent. In december 1916 they got one high command, the "Inspekeur der Gasregimenter" under the General der Pioniere in the GHQ.

Later the bataillons of those two regiments were seperated. Because this was complicated, the inspecteur now was named "Kommandeur der Gastruppen". At this time (23.8.1917), the bataillons of those regiments became independent (Pi.Btl.35-38). Each bataillon now recieved a trnech-mortar company and one "Gas-Frontwetterwarte" (Front-weather-station).

Later a few more bataillons were set-up:

Pi.Btl.39 at 1.12.18, Pi.Btls.94 and 95 at 22.6.18 and Pi.Btl.96 at 1.9.18 (in addition the Front-Wetterwarten 408-410 and 419).

So we had 2 regiments (four bataillons) and four bataillons later = Eight bataillons.

IG, you forgot the Pi.Rgt.36 ;)

Inf.Rgt. 70 (Soldaten unter Gasmaske).JPG

Oh, yes, you´re right, Chip, thanx for the correction!

Cron wrote it in his book "Die Organisation des deutschen Heeres". My fault was "not thinking..."

It must be 1.2.1918!

Here the history of formations:

1.5.1915: Pi.Rgt.35, Pi.Rgt.36 (with two bataillons and trencgh-mortar-company each) -. dissolved 1.9.1917

1.9.1917: Pi.Btl.35 (was I./Pi.Rgt.35), Pi.Btl.36 (was I./Pi.Rgt.36), Pi.Btl.37 (was II./Pi.Rgt.35), Pi.Btl.38 (was II./Pi.Rgt.36)

22.9.1917: Gaswerfer-Kompanie 1

1.2.1918: Pi.Btl.39

22.6.1918: Pi.Btl.94-96

Edited by The Prussian