News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 Box for Meybauer Screwback?

Hi IG, like this, but the gegenplatte has been turner up 45 degrees on the photomey.thumb.JPG.b33ed6658328cf43f8352b8393

i have a very similar box (same raised dais, exact imprint on upper inside lid, fake crocodile exterior), but a CD 800 pinback is inside. fits perfectly

Hi,

I have run a few EK1s through it, all fit perfectly. But CD800 are issued I think, therefor should not be original to the box?

The deep cutouts make me think this was not for a pinback. Unfortunately I dont have any Meybauers anymore to testz.

I have run a few EK1s through it, all fit perfectly. But CD800 are issued I think, therefor should not be original to the box

ummm, there are so many types of 'cd 800' style crosses out there--both vaulted and flat-- i find it hard to believe that they are all strictly issue pieces.

can you show me a link or the page from a book that proves without a doubt that all cd800s are issue pieces?. i think that's just a theory being bandied about on certain forums right now, imo

ummm, there are so many types of 'cd 800' style crosses out there--both vaulted and flat-- i find it hard to believe that they are all strictly issue pieces.

can you show me a link or the page from a book that proves without a doubt that all cd800s are issue pieces?. i think that's just a theory being bandied about on certain forums right now, imo

hi, sorry, i automatically thought of cd800 flatbacks. I still dont think thes is made for a pin cross.... The design just seems wrong 

now i will have to dig out my case and take a closer look at the dais part of it. hopefully the dais will have a style of design that is different from yours--that way you will established that there are at least two different types of case interior, and it will help substantiate your line of thought!

i took a look at my case, which turned out to be green instead of brown with the base velvet interior being a dark green instead of your tan/creme color, and i have to say that perhaps your brown case had a non-proprietary screwback mashed into it, which explains the backplate marks. the cross that's in your example in the above pictures is also not original to the case--it doesn't fit as intended. the dais is made to fit the vaulted cross perfectly and seamlessly--the curve of the vaulted cross continues with the curve of the pedestal dais down to the base of the insert. these case insert bases do have a fairly deep vertical crevice on them, with quite a bit of wiggle room, should one want to force a screwback into it. i think the key is how the vault of the cross matches the inverse vault of the velvet base. it should be perfectly flush.. i then tried fitting a meybauer of mine, but the vault on the cross didn't quite match the arch of the case base. 

Check out this beauty.... I have never seen one like this.... and the interior seems to be set up for the Meybauer with EK shaped gegenplatte? (Not a Meybauer pictured in the box)

Have never been this excited to own a box!!box5.thumb.JPG.4447edb31d53c6ea8074dcdeebox3.thumb.jpg.3234b28ac16ee5521397bab70box2.thumb.jpg.33fa2a8765adaf296cfaafb25box1.thumb.jpg.2b9f160e28ddbe0e13dda02b6

I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. This indention from the backing plate is visible. This is a fine case!!

Hi,

a few points and thoughts,

My error, I should have mentioned I bought the case empty, the cross pictured in it was simply the first one I grabbed.

I dont think the traces are from a cross being forced into it, if that were the case then it is very probable that the cross pushed the top lining as well, and that is clean as a whistle, no force marks.

There are 3 kinds of cross traces on this, 1) the ones for what look like a Gegenplatte, 2) Hook and ring marks from a EK2 which seems to have been stored in it. 3) There are also marks from a hinge and hook from an EK1... but fact is, where the arms come together (top and bottom arm) you can feel that the inner layer has been crushed down to accomadate the pin running from hinge to hook. Without that crushing the cross would have been way to high up in the case.

The indentations for the hinge and pin have been forced as well.

Having the piece in hand and tracing the indentations with my fingers, i am pretty convinced this one was not made for a pin.

My adventurous side wants to carefully dissasemble it, but I wonr ;-)

Can you post yours?

Best

Chris

Edited by Chris Boonzaier

Nice shots! My one seems to have had more force used on the north south axis to get the pin and furniture in.

I have tried it with a number of crosses, some fit better than others.

I think it important to remember that the cases were not tailor made for specific crosses, or probably not even for specific makers... I am guessing they were bought wholesale, and somewhere along the supply line at the cross factory, there was a guy with sharp pointy things that took the generic case and made it fit the hinge and hook of his bosses crosses?

Maybe this box could be ordered by anyone and made to fit their cross?

Box is a liiittle bit bigger than the usual boxes...

Hi,

I may have mispoke. I think cases for a specific maker and model of Iron cross are probably few and far between, but the traces in this and the shape leave me thinking that if Meybauer ever did use a box, this is the most likely one I can imagine... which is not to say Godet did not buy the same box for pinbacks.

The box could however not be used by makers who had a pin longer than the cross without damaging the lining....

well, hopefully we can keep an eye out for further examples of cased crosses, and see if some kind of pattern emerges. personally i've only noticed CD style crosses in this type of case, but of course i haven't seen everything.

it would be pretty cool to find a proprietary case for a classic meybauer screwback, no doubt about that!

I think the problem with cased crosses is that a fraction of the ones we see realy belong together... I have seen mass murder case/cross combos, many dealers mix and match, many collectors swop around, buy a combo just to get the case for their minty cross and flog the one inside, which may or may not have been switched by the previous owner.

Cases and crosses are for me the least likely combo to stand the test of time.