News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just received this Militärpaß. It is seemingly a run-of-the-mill infantry example, but when you look a little closer, it becomes very interesting. Musketier Alois Frick, born 1895, entered the service in January of 1917, five months from his 22 birthday. He's in the Ersatz Batallion of K.W.Infanterie Rgt.Nr.124.  In September of 1917 he is sent to the 6,Komp.I.R.124 in the field. He serves the rest of the war with this unit. One interesting entry mentions his being sent to a Sturmabteilung for a couple of weeks (advanced training?). An otherwise pretty bland pass, which when offered, did not even show the Sturmabteilung passage (it was under an added sheet of his battle record). The pass sold for below the normal price of a Militärpaß. Alois was mustered out of the service in December of 1918 and two months later his service was recorded in his book (20.02.19). It was signed then by a newly promoted captain (21.12.18), who had some history with the regiment. Recognize the signature? I guess I was the only one bidding who did. 

img175.jpg

img176.jpg

img181.jpg

img179.jpg

img180.jpg

It must have been fate on several levels. First, when I look on-line I normally don't look at Militärpaß (I only have three now). Secondly, all those who normally do look didn't catch this. It sure pays to know some regimental history when it comes to famous historical figures. If the pass hadn't been to the 124th, I probably would have passed it by.

Note page 11 (of the Militärpass):

Komandos: v. 23.8. bis 12.9.18: Sturmabteilung 27!

By the way, Hauptmann Rommel: The word Kommando has TWO letters m! (But I think, he didn´t write the text, he just signed it)

Chip, I assume, that was your "Find of the year", wasn´t it?

Edited by The Prussian

• 2 months later...