News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Super pass! Many units, fronts, actions. Really interesting historical timeline.

I found it particularly interesting that Gebirgs-Artillerie-Abteilung Nr.5 and Nr.6 shared the same Ersatz Abteilung. I think these units were a mixture of troops from Bavaria, Württemberg and Prussia.

Andy,

Where was this Hill 1114 located? Ah, OK I found this report from the 12.Isonzo battle.

"Der linke Flügel der Gruppe Stein greift nach Überrennung der vordersten Talstellung südwestlich Tolmein zusammen mit der Gruppe Berrer die feindliche Hauptstellung auf dem Kolovrat-Rücken an. Stürmende Infanterie klettert von der 160 m hohen Talsohle im feindlichen Feuer die steilen Hänge bis über 1000 m empor. Die Gipfel des Kolovrat bilden in dem stark befestigten Stellungsknoten bei Höhe 1114 den Schlüsselpunkt dieses ganzen Systems. Bereits am Nachmittag kann der Sturm gegen Punkt 1114 und das benachbarte Massiv des Haefnik angesetzt werden. Weiter südlich bricht die Stellung des Jeza-Blockes im Angriff der Gruppe Berrer zusammen. Unablässig drückt der Südflügel der Armee (Gruppe Scotti) über den Hrad Vrh gegen die Kette des Globocak vor. Eiserne Meißel hat General v. Below angesetzt gegen die Felsblöcke der Julischen Alpen. Teutonenkräfte bohren und schlagen, Löcher werden zu klaffenden Lücken. Wie eine eherne Maschine arbeitet die Armee an den Granitwällen der Berge, frißt sich tief hinein durch Hindernis und Beton. Sie arbeitet genau nach Überlegung und Plan."

Edited by Chip

Andy, actually reading Rommel's book Infantrie Greift An gave me the motivation to hike the area while living in the region. The mountains around Kobarid/Capparetto and the Isonzo Front are what really got me interested in WWI and collecting in a more focused way.  Not to mention it's a very beautiful area.  Worth a trip.

• 1 year later...
    On 5.9.2015 at 05:18, IrishGunner said:

Andy, actually reading Rommel's book Infantrie Greift An gave me the motivation to hike the area while living in the region. The mountains around Kobarid/Capparetto and the Isonzo Front are what really got me interested in WWI and collecting in a more focused way.  Not to mention it's a very beautiful area.  Worth a trip.

I have read the book this week and had the same thoughts! :-)

They would have supported the Leib Regt when Schörners 12th Company took Höhe 1114!!!

• 9 months later...
    On 27/07/2017 at 07:55, Chris Boonzaier said:

I have read the book this week and had the same thoughts! :-)

They would have supported the Leib Regt when Schörners 12th Company took Höhe 1114!!!

Made that trip yet to Capparetto?