News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadian Mounted Rifles Scout - Boer War

lazyschnauzer

The idea for this figure came from seeing George W. Hill's Boer War monument to the Canadian Mounted Rifles and Strathcona Horse in Montreal, Dorchester Square.

This figure of a frightened, rearing horse and a dismounted CMR trooper with field glasses is in 1/16th scale and was made using a Verlinden horse. The horse was modified, all hair and saddle and related horse furniture removed and re-sculpted. I sculpted a western saddle, but otherwise what I think is Canadian military cavalry kit. Head, hands and other resin kit parts were used. The hands were slightly altered to fit. A DJParkin metal SMLE rifle was converted to a Long Lee Rifle. The terrain is combinations of a resin base, MS, rocks and pumice paste with various green and brown grass, moss, shrubs and flowers. The terrain has been washed with various acrylics. The model sold unpainted as you see it and I've never seen photos of the painted version.

Hope you like it!

All the best,
    Dan

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Sculptor George W. Hill.jpg

Montreal-097.jpg

Montreal-093.jpg

Montreal-106.jpg

Montreal-099.jpg

Hello Dan.......

Think that it is fantastic......  Many Many years ago I saw the Artists Model for this memorial in 1/4 scale.....  Was up for sale but there was no way that I could afford it...... And then it being un the UK the cost of shipping to Canada would have cost a fortune.....

Mike

The original (if memory serves) is life size or maybe larger and I'd estimate about 12 feet from the bottom of the scout's boots to the top of the horse's ears.  Of course the original is also mounted on a base which is 5 or 6 feet off the pavement. 

1/4th scale!  So - 2.5 or 3.0 feet in height for 1/4th scale, not counting the base!

Do you recall who purchased the 1/4th scale model?

All the best,

Dan

Hi Dan......

Yes that was about the size..... 

I have no idea who it was sold to sorry,  I saw this statue back in the late 70's early 80's.......

I remember that they were asking about 1200 or 1500 Pounds......

Mike