News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lüdwig Becker NJG 1

I purchased some time ago this signed wartime photograph of Lüdwig Becker night fighter ace of NJG 1 killed in action on 26 February 1943. The picture shows Becker wearing the Knight’s Cross awarded on 1 July 1942, does anybody know when he actually was presented with the award, possibly September when the picture was actually taken. Is the photograph a press (hence the official stamps on the back of the picture), or a private studio portrait, is it likely Becker would have signed a press photograph?

Dennis

large.Becker-web-1.jpg.b672fd00a7511e584

large.Becker-scan-2c-web.jpg.02b6a001424large.Becker-scan-2b-web.jpg.1debf922cfe

Dennis

Yes, that indeed is what is known as a 'Press Photo' and is nicely stampted to the reverse side.

With regards to the signature, that is what can only be described as a minefield these days as the fakers/forgers having enjoyed their 'days of plenty' and the market is now flooded with a whole myriad of KIA RKT in virtually any format that you would like.

In regards to this signature, it will always be difficult to judge from a single photo however, please be aware that Becker's signature has appeared in signnificant quantities in the past few years, frequently on blank pieces of paper with several other Nachtjagd RKT (including Schnaufer) and small paper clippings with newspaper photos attached.  

Regards Richard.

I thought the picture seemed a bit contrived, I've never seen a signed press photo. Not recognizing the stamps, I was hoping it was a private studio picture. Also the signature compared favourably with the few others I had seen (see attached).

large.33501.jpg.5b05cf1104a795c56f600d67large.42147_1.png.cb53dcb62519b5cf1f5b82large.38963_12.jpg.a846f33c9c203106594d5large.Becker-scan-auto-web.jpg.09f32962d

Dennis

It is my opinion that more than one hand wrote those signatures, which if any, was the hand of Ludwig Becker I cannot say for sure.

As with many of the famous NJG RKT, Becker's signature had undoubtedly seen the attention of the faker/forger and doubt regins over many signatures as a result.

Regards Richard.