News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown middle-eastern or arabo-african(?) decorations

My friend says the motto is "Salvation is in Truth" or "Salvation through Truth." He also says the last letter of the word Salvation is written in a letter that indicates Ottoman Turkish, Farsi or some none Arabic speaker origin.

Gentlemen,

I would suggest that the two orders with crescent suspensions are the Ottoman (or Egyptian) Orders of the Mejidie and Osmanie. The orders with crown suspensions are both probably European and the bottom left is probably the Legion of Honour of France.

Kind regards,

Owain

The dexter one really looks like the Legion d'Honneur of the ROYAL France. The ribbon of the central order is green with borders(?), i.e. neither of the Medjidiyeh, nor of Osmaniyeh.

Edited by Mitya Ivanov

• 2 weeks later...

The colour arms are those of the Kingdom of Iraq:

Two rivers - Tigris & Euphrates

Two swords - Arabic & Kurdish

Two stars - Order of Rafidain (two rivers in Arabic)

Two supporters - Assyrian lion & Arab horse

Two plants - wheat (food) & cotton (??) (industry) - also palms for dates

Regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

The colour arms are those of the Kingdom of Iraq:

Two rivers - Tigris & Euphrates

Two swords - Arabic & Kurdish

Two stars - Order of Rafidain (two rivers in Arabic)

Two supporters - Assyrian lion & Arab horse

Two plants - wheat (food) & cotton (??) (industry) - also palms for dates

Regards,

Owain

Yes, I know. I meant the arms in the original post. I meant to compare them to the arms of the Kingdom of Iraq. Do you think the arms in the original post are a prototype design?

Do you know what country or era this piece is from? It might help us pinpoint what the order could be. Some of my guesses were that the order in the middle could be from Qajar-era Persia, but I can't find any Persian orders with a similar design, just that the suspension could be a rough representation of the Qajar crown? I've seen pictures of badges of the Tunisian Order of Iftikhar that also have a wreath, but none of those have a crown suspension.

I'm pretty sure these are personal arms, and not the arms of a state. Do you think they might belong to some Near Eastern prince granted arms by some European monarch??

Of course the button is not Persian. Maybe - north-african or near-eastern, yes. The Legion d'Honneur is ROYAL here (i.e. pre-1871). Do not think this (the arms) is some European grant - but Europeans could take part in its design.

Edited by Mitya Ivanov