News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pinnacle of my collection?

Hi,

I think there are two kinds of These flags, most seem to simply be for reservist associations and may have the name of the town or village..."Jonestown kriegerverein"... and then those belonging to a certain regiments veterans association.

I think the leib Regiment was one of the regiments that actually selected men from various parts of Bayern, so unlike most regiments which were more regional, the Leib Regiment had members from various towns, cities and villages.

I assume the purely town associated flags "Smithville veterans association" may have a limited market as they are not related to a specific regiment, but the regimental ones, especially for an elite regiment like the Leib Regiment are more desireable. I dont know if every Branch of the Leib Regt Association had a flag, they were probably too expensive.

I think the Kaiserlautern Branch existed from 1904, in 1913 they bought their flag, and in the 2 decades that followed they probably had all the WW1 Leib Regiment Vets in the area marching behind it.

Kaiserlautern was bavarian up until 1918 if my googling serves me correctly. It was invaded by and has been occupied by Americans since 1945 ;-)

I guess there is not a lot of Militaria left in the Area as Generations of GIs and USAF must have picked it pretty clean...

2 minutes ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Nice flag.  Mount it on the pole and troop the colors down your road. I'm sure the neighbors would find it interesting. As for "pinnacle" it always seems to me that when I reach what I think of as the summit there is always another bit of high ground to cover.....

Now if you need some funds to defray the cost of that thingy you have a certain medal bar.......:D

• 3 weeks later...

Some of these responses suggest a new thread: 'marital aids and sex toys of the Second Reich'.   I am aware of certain electric shock treatments for women's 'hysteria' but the concept of dildos and butt plugs for the High Command is intriguing!   Can you imagine a display of Bakelite, 'India rubber' or carved wooden 'toys' at the local militaria  show, all with alleged 'provenance'?