News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kingdom of Portugal

I have turned my attention to the Kingdom of Portugal pre-1910... but I am in need of help!

I have a vast array of images courtesy of our friends at Morton & Eden (check out their Auction #77 if you like Portugese stuff!) and I'm trying to get them sorted into some semblance of order for my website. Does anyone know of an order of precedence for them?

So far I know about: -

• Order of Christ - 2 divisions Civil and Military, quite different badges.
    • Order of Aviz - Type 1 and Type 2 (1894-1910)
    • Order of the Tower and Sword - Type 1 (1808-1834), Type 2 (1834 to 'mid-19th C.') and Type 3 (from this 'mid-19th C. to 1910)
    • Order of St James of the Sword - Type 1 and Type 2, no dates known.
    • Order of Vila Viçosa
    • Civil Order of Agricultural and Industrial Merit - with Agricultural and Industrial divisions.
    • Peninsular War Cross, 1808-14 - Military and Civil, each with varying numbers of years of service.
    • Montevideo Star, 1822-1823
    • Montevideo Cross, 1822-1823 - in gold and silver.
    • Bravery Medal of the Trasmontana Division, 1823 - Type 1 and Type 2
    • Medal for Loyalty to King & Country - 3 Types, at least the Type 3 one has gold and silver medals.
    • As Chagas De Lamego Medal, 1825
    • Campaign of Liberty Medal, 1826-1834 - Type 1 and Type 2, each as Civil and Military versions.
    • Maria II Loyalty Medal, 1833
    • Spanish Auxiliaries Medal, 1835-7 - 3 types.
    • Maria II Cross
    • Maria II Merit Medal of Philanthropy and Generosity - silver.
    • Yellow Fever Medal, 1858 - silver.
    • Angolan Expedition, 1860 - in silver and bronze (? gold as well)
    • Military Medal for Valour, 1863 - Naval and Army Types, gold and silver (maybe a bronze as well?)
    • Exemplary Conduct Medal, 1863 - Naval and Army Types, each in gold, silver and bronze.
    • Good Service Medal, 1863 - Naval and Army Types, with silver and bronze known for each, maybe also in gold.
    • Medal for Overseas Service, 1891 - in silver and bronze (also gold?)
    • Overseas Distinguished Service Medal, 1891 - in silver and bronze (maybe also gold?)
    • Assiduous Overseas Services, 1891 - in gold, silver and bronze.
    • Coronation of King Carlos Medal, 1889
    • Postal & Telegraphic Merit Medal, 1898 - in gold, silver and bronze.
    • State Railway Merit Medal, 1902 - in gold, silver and bronze.
    • Queen Amelia Medal, 1894-96 - for service in Angola, India (silver and bronze), Mozambique (bronze) and Nyassa.
    • Overseas Campaign Medal, 1896-1910 - silver and bronze.
    • Queen Amelia Naval Review Medal, 1907 - silver and bronze.
    • Royal Institute for Lifesaving (RISM), 1903, Subscriber's medal in silver and bronze
    • Royal Institute for Lifesaving (RISM), 1903, Lifesaver's medal in bronze (may be others).

Can anyone help in terms of grades, dates, terms of award of the above, or any other medals I need to include?

Also:

PORTUGAL - Cruz do Valor Militar (Military Cross of Valour)

PORTUGAL - Cruz do Merito Militar, 2nd Class, w/ Distinto Cruz (Cross of Military Merit w/ cross emblem), Mint

PORTUGAL - Cruz da Guerra, w/ Distinto Valor (War Cross w/ Bravery emblem)

PORTUGAL - Medalha Servicos Distintos, w/ Distinto Ultramar (Medal for Distinguished Services w/ Overseas emblem)

PORTUGAL - Comportimento Exemplar, w/ Distinto Ultramar (Good Behavior w/ Overseas emblem)

PORTUGAL - Promocao por Distincao (Star for Promotion for Bravery w/Star)

PORTUGAL - Mutilados e Invalidos (Star for Wounded and Disabled)

PORTUGAL - Vitoria (Victory Medal), 1914-18,

PORTUGAL - Campanhas Ultramar, Combatante (Overseas Campaign Medal with Combatant ribbon), w/ bars, "Angola "70-72", "Angola "72-75"

PORTUGAL - Campanhas Ultramar, Non-combatante (Overseas Campaign Medal w/ Non-combatant ribbon), w/ bar, "Norte de Angola "60-62", EF w/ slight corrosion-reverse

These are all mid- to late 20th century and may be same as or follow on to some of the ones you have listed above.  Please let me know which (if any) pictures you want.  

My inventory says I also have a thing called  PORTUGAL – Imperial Order (Ordem do Imperio), neck badge, Grand Officer gold w/ enamels, w/ full cravat , and I have a vague recollection of it, but can't find a picture in my files.  If it's important, I'll root around in my treasure locker.  Just let me know.  

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...