News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Prisoner of War Collection

• 2 weeks later...

Next up is a fantastic group to a South Africa Policeman which is new to my collection.

Harold Julius Bates was born on the 15th of May 1914 in East London, Cape Province, South Africa. In 1933, Harold joined the South Africa Police in Pretoria. He was given the service number SAP196993 and held the police rank of 'Constable'. He served in the 14th district, Port Elizabeth.

With the second world war unfolding, Harold was mobilised with the 2nd Battalion, SAP on the 3rd of June 1940 and was sent to Egypt in June 1941. His rank was now 'Private'.

In September 1941, Harold had an accident whilst digging a trench. The pick he was using to dig struck a rock and the pick lodged itself into his left ankle causing a deep wound with heavy bleeding. An incident report showed that Harold was Sober, was not acting with negligence and that the incident occurred whilst performing his ordered duties.

Harold and the rest of his battalion ended up stationed at Tobruk and were involved in the attempted break out on 20th of June 1942 when they were surrounded by Axis forces but they ultimately had to surrender the garrison. Harold was not wounded.

On captured, Harold was initially held in the infamous POW cages in Benghazi, North Africa from the 20th of June 1942 until the 7th of November 1942. Conditions at this place were vile and it was here that Harold contracted Dysentery which persisted for 4 months. He states that very little medical supplies were made available and that he was not provided adequate medical treatment.

On the 14th of November 1942, Harold arrived at PG 75, a transit camp in Bari on the coast of Southern Italy and after a short stay was transferred to PG 132 at Foggia where we worked on a local farm as a labourer arriving here on the 1st of February 1943. This would have been very beneficial as those who conducted work whilst held prisoner in Italy tended to have fared better; this was more often than not as their 'employers' would give them additional food rations.

Harold stayed working on this farm for just over 6 months until the capitulation of Italy came in early September 1943. Harold states that he was at this work camp until the 10th of September. It is highly plausible that Harold enjoyed some free time in Italy at this point as he is next recorded at Stalag 8c in Sagan, Poland on the 28th of September.

Sadly, lots of POW's did not see the period between the Italians capitulating and the Germans recapturing them as escapes and, as such, did not record their exploits on their MI9 debrief forms. However, I do believe that this is the case for Harold considering that the journey should not have taken more than 5 or 6 days and as a prisoner in Southern Italy, it would have been deemed prudent by the Germans to move these men quickly away from the advancing allies.

Back to Stalag 8c in Sagan....

Harold once again utilised on work parties. His first job was labouring at the Breslau post office which he commenced on the 1st of December 1943. He wrote about his experiences at the post office as so: "Whilst employed at the post office of Breslau from 1/12/43 to June '44, I and my comrades sabotaged numerous parcels and misdirected hundreds of mail bags by changing the labels and names."

This must have been very good for morale and the thought of act of sabotage made me laugh!

After his time at the Breslau post office, Harold was tasked in June 1944 to dig civilian air raid shelters which he continued with until the 24th of January 1945.

At this time, it was clear that the Russians could not be stopped in their advance and on the 25th of January the prisoners were forced to start marching in a westerly direction away from the Russian advance. Many prisoners utilised this forced march to make escape attempts and Harold Julius Bates was one of these individuals.

He takes up the story on his POW debrief:

"Attempted to escape whilst on a forced march in Germany by burying myself in hay on a farm accompanied by Benson and Jordan Anderson. Attempt failed owing o the use by the Germans of trained Alsatian dogs. All recaptured. We were all at this time in very low physical state owing to starvation."

Harold re-joined the line of march and was liberated on the 12th of April 1945 by the allies. He was interviewed by MI9 on the 20th of May 1945.

Harold was repatriated to South Africa in July 1945 and went back to policing in Pretoria. 

I am so delighted with this group as it is my first South Africa Police grouping and the MI9 debrief has a great amount of detail. I am particularly pleased with the act of sabotage at Breslau Post Office as this feels like such a childish, schoolboy prank to play but the actual ramifications and disturbance to the postal system would have actually been very disruptive to the Germans.

However, The escape attempt listed is what made me think 'I have to acquire this group'....

Having grown up watching Films and TV shows such as: Colditz, The Colditz Story, The Great Escape, The Wooden Horse, Albert RN etc.. there always seems to be a scene where Alsatians are used to foil a plan so carefully constructed. 

I am so happy, therefore, to finally have a group in my collection where the escape plan was foiled by the hounds! I suppose that proves that the story really is key when it comes to these so-called 'standard' WW2 medal groups.

The story of Harold Julius Bates appeals so much to me and I am thrilled to be the new owner of this fantastic group.

Bates.jpeg

Next up is another great South African group awarded to a man with potentially the best name i've ever heard!

Jacob Johannes Peterus Stephanus Breytenbach was born on the 7th of March 1912 in Middelburg, Transvaal, South Africa.

Before the Second World War, Jacob was a farmer living in Kinross, Transvaal, South Africa.

Jacob enlisted as an Air Gunner in the South African Air Force in June 1940 but he was deemed 'Unlikely to become an efficient air gunner' and transferred to the 2nd Battalion, Transvaal Scottish Regiment, part of the 2nd South African Division on the 7th of December of the same year. He became a part of the Heavy Weapons Support Company.

After infantry training, Jacob disembarked in Egypt in June 1941 before moving on to Libya.

Jacob and his comrades fought in the following battles:

Halfaya - 12th to 17th of December 1941

Sollum - 11th to 12th of January 1942

Acroma Keep - 06th to 18th of June 1942

Jacob was serving at Tobruk when the regiment was captured on the 21st of June 1942. Jacob interestingly managed to break through the lines but was picked up by Axis forces on the 22nd of June in the Tobruk area. Whilst in Libya, Jacob was lectured on 'How to behave in the event of capture' by a Captain D Dale.

After being held in North Africa, Jacob was transported to Italy staying for a couple of months at Campo 77, Pissignano Campello, before arriving at his final Italian camp on the 27th/28th of September 1942. This was Campo 54 at Fara Sabina which was approximately 40 miles North East of Rome.

On the Italian Armistice in September 1943, Jacob escaped into the surrounding country side. However he was recaptured in December 1943 by the Germans. His MI9 POW Debrief takes up the story below:

"When Italy packed in, I spent 3 months in the hills near Tivoli & Rome before I was recaptured by the Germans. Given away by the Fascists for 2000 Lire. My pals as well."

Jacob and his pals were taken by train to Germany and he arrived later in December 1943 at Stalag 8B, Lamsdorf. From Lamsdorf, Jacob was again transferred in February 1944 to Stalag 4b at Muhlberg. 

Jacob was released from Stalag 4b in May 1945 and was interviewed by MI9 on the 26th of May 1945.

He was flown back to the UK on the 29th of May '45 and returned to South Africa by sea on the 19th of July, arriving on the 3rd of August 1945. In January 1946 he was discharged with a character description of 'Very Good' and thence returned to Transvaal and his farming career.

He applied for his medals (pictured below) which were dispatched on the 15th of April 1953.

Breytenbach.jpeg

My second Kiwi grouping is sadly a short one until I can get a hold of a service record from the New Zealand archives.

Selwyn James Tregear was born on the 11th of November 1911 in Christchurch, New Zealand. His parents were Neville Atherton Tregear and Ethel Jane Tregear.

Selwyn was the second of 4 children. He had an older brother named Lance Neville, a younger sister named Isla Evelyn, and very sadly his youngest sibling, Lyell, died only 7 days old.

Selwyn's mother, Ethel, passed away in 1933 and his father re-married a woman named Murial.

When war broke out Selwyn attested into the New Zealand army and became 9442 Driver S J Tregear NZEF. He served in the supply column. At the time of enlistment, he was living at 5 Locarno Street, Opawa, Christchurch, New Zealand and his trade was noted as a 'Civilian Machinist'.

Selwyn's unit was involved in the fighting in Greece before retreating back to Crete and it was here to Selwyn was captured by German forces. He was given the POW number 5448.

He was initially held in the awful transit camp at Salonika, a disused Greek Army barracks on the outskirts of town. This transit camp was more often remembered by its inmates as a starvation camp with a highly inappropriate amount of medical supplies. Some prisoners stayed here for as short a time as 24 hours, some stayed for periods of several months whilst they were being used as slave labourers by their captors. I do not know the exact amount of time that Selwyn stayed here but I hope it was not long!

After his stay at Salonika, Selwyn was put on a cattle truck and would have spent a hellish week long journey through the Balkan states up into Poland at his permanent POW Camp, Stalag 344 at Lamsdorf.

Selwyn appears to have stayed the rest of the war at Stalag 344 and would have almost certainly endured many hardships on various work camps and, of course, the infamous march Westwards away from the Russian advance in the winter of 1945; A march which claimed the lives of many POW.

He was freed in May 1945 and in due course returned to New Zealand, passing away in Canterbury on the 30th of May 1982 in his native Christchurch. His probate documentation describe him as 'A War Pensioner'.

I have in my collection Selwyn's full WW2 medal entitlement of: The 1939-45 star, Africa Star, Defence Medal, War Medal, New Zealand War Service Medal, and lastly his Greek War Medal with named certificate.

The certificate is absolutely crucial due to the New Zealand government not having named their medals when issued.

It is also lovely that Selwyn's Greek War Medal is the Gilt version rather than the Bronze variant.

I am very glad to have secured my second New Zealand POW medal group as they are so scarce and hard to identify!

S J Tregear.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

In continuation with my current commonwealth captive's collecting.... Here is a Canadian.

This is my first Canadian POW group and I am absolutely delighted with it due to there being 4 new medals to my POW collection (including Silver Canadian defence and war medals as new!) This is an historically important find.

Ernest Joseph Alexander was born on the 22nd of April 1918 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I have not ascertained the name of Ernest's father, but his mother was Violet.

Ernest was living in Montreal, Quebec when the second world war broke out and he was working as an Elevator Operator. He had previously served 2 years in The Royal Highland Regiment of Canada (The Black Watch) and so on the 9th of September 1939, he rejoined his old outfit. He was now D-81251 Private E J Alexander RHC.

Ernest was 5 feet and 7 inches tall, had brown hair and a fair complexion. 

In my research, I found out that Alexander is actually a strong Jewish surname and this is cemented by Ernest's service record... Under languages spoken, Ernest is noted as being fluent in: English, French, German, and *Hebrew*.

Ernest trained in Canada and Newfoundland before sailing over to Scotland arriving here in October 1940. He undertook lots of training courses in the UK and interspersed these with several periods of AWOL's for which he would always have to forfeit some pay!

He was initially in the intelligence section of the Royal Highland Regiment before becoming a Platoon Runner and then Company Runner. This was an exceptionally dangerous job and Ernest must have been incredibly fit to have been given this job for 3 years! By this time, he had also been promoted to Lance Corporal.

On the 5th of July 1944, Ernest and his comrades in the 1st Battalion embarked in the UK for France to join the fight in Normandy and they arrived the next day. The travelled on the small cruising vessel 'The Isle of Guernsey' along with The Regiment De Maisonneuve and The Calgary Highlanders. Conditions were very cramped with each room averaging 58 men. (Picture of ship below found on rollofhonour.com) 

The days were fairly eventful as the Canadians made their foothold in Normandy with constant arial bombardment and strafing from enemy aircraft. The 1st Battalion, Black Watch of Canada war diary highlights this:

"Franqueville, Monday 14th July 1944

Weather - Clear and very warm. Bastille day was celebrated at ROTS today. The guard of honour was provided by the Regt de Masionneuve, our Bn. sending over as representatives Sgt Carton from B.Coy. and Cpl Lessard from the I. Section. They reported that it had been a most interesting and impressive ceremony and that it had been broadcast in French to L'ontreal. 

A straffing raid was made by 12 Focke Wulf and M.E.109s and of the three shot down, one fell in flames in the are of the Regt de Maisonneuve. Shells fell in our D.Coy area wounding Sgt Hulley and *L/CPL ALEXANDER*."

Ernest had been wounded in his left hand and arm but was otherwise fine.

The Battalion suffered a great deal more casualties over the next 10 days until, on the 25th of July 1944, they suffered a catastrophic loss of 94% of the men. This was the Battle of Verriéres Ridge. This was the costliest day for a Canadian battalion since Dieppe in 1942. The part of the 1st Black Watch of Canada was a broad daylight rush of a ridge defended by SS Panzer Divisions. 

Of the 325 men who were present from the 1st Battalion, only 15 made it back to friendly lines. The rest were all Killed or Wounded and captured by the Waffen SS. 

This is a good overview of the battle: https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/black-watch-verrieres-ridge-july-1944

Under the section stating 'Type of Employment within unit', Ernest's service record states:

"Company Runner (Royal Highland Regiment). Drawing and Enlarging Maps. Held same job until wounded and taken prisoner on 25 JUL 44."

Ernest was wounded when captured having sustained injury to his left cheek which caused permanent scarring along with a fractured Jaw. This wound caused him to have Lock-Jaw. He was sent to the Pitié-Salpêtriére Hospital in Paris, France arriving here on the 27th of July.

With the liberation of Paris by the allies and the evacuation of Axis Forces in mid August 1944, Ernest was moved to Germany. He left the Paris Hospital on the 15th of August and arrived at Stalag IV-b at Muhlberg on the 15th of September 1944. Here he was held until he was 'liberated' by the Russians in April 1945. He was held as a prisoner of the Russians until May 1945 when he was interviewed by MI9 and subsequently sent back to the UK. 

On his MI9 liberation report, Ernest has made a curious remark on the section of Interrogation as below:

"Interrogated Chalons, France. Verbal Interrogation. Polite and Courteous. They knew more about me than I knew myself".

I am very intrigued as to what this refers to, but sadly, we shall never know. Could it have been to do with his Jewish heritage? Could this be related to the battle in which he was captured? Who knows.

After the war, Ernest returned to Canada and married a miss Dorothy Jones. He was demobbed in 1947 and awarded: The 1939-45 star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal, Canadian War Service Medal with overseas clasp, and the Territorial Efficiency Medal with Canada clasp. This last medal is the all important one as it is named!

I am thrilled to have acquired this truly magnificent group to a brave man who fought in a truly bloody campaign. The fact that he was of Jewish heritage makes this even more appealing to me as it must have been a scary thought whilst in Germany as a prisoner of the Reich!

EJA Medals.jpeg

medals 2.jpeg

SSIsleOfGuernsey.jpeg

Spring colour - Edward Lengel.jpeg

Dear Gavin,

I’m so glad that you have enjoyed the recent posts and I’m thrilled that people are still taking an interest in the thread!

Thanks for your comment and keep your eyes peeled for the next posts…. I’ve got a few escapers to come!

Rob

• 3 months later...

Hi Rob, 

i really enjoyed your post on Canadian Ernest Alexander and look forward to more posts in the future. All the best and happy holidays. I hope ‘22 is a great year for your PoW collection!  All the best, John

Thanks very much, John! I love the group to Alexander too. As you know, i've been searching for Commonwealth POW groupings captured/held in Europe for years and we both know how tough it is to find Canadian groups!

I've got some great groupings to come in the following weeks, hopefully i'll have lots of free time over Christmas leave to share them.

Well done for your acquisitions in 2021 and thanks for sharing. Look forward to more next year.

Rob

Next up is a rather nice new(ish) group to another Italy escaper.

Arthur George Hindes was born on the 17th of April 1918. On the outbreak of the second world war, Arthur was a Brass Founder by trade. He was 5'8 with fair hair, a fair complexion, and blue eyes. His 

On the 15th of January 1940, Arthur enlisted East Yorkshire Regiment and was assigned to the 5th Battalion. His service number was 4346305. The 5th Bn East Yorkshire Regiment served with the 69th Infantry Brigade, 23rd (Northumbrian) Division where he would likely have served at Dunkirk before being evacuated back to The UK.

The battalion was posted to North Africa where it saw action at Mersa Matruh. Subsequently, the now L/Cpl Arthur Hindes and his comrades were present at the first battle of El Alamein, Egypt in July 1942. They were captured on the 27th of July 1942 by the Germans. Under his 'brief circumstances of capture' section on his MI9 report, Arthur said the following:

"Having made a night attack and when digging in, the position was overrun by German tanks".

Arthur was first held at the infamous Benghazi cages between his capture date and the 15th of August 1942 before being transported to Italy, arriving the next day.

In Italy, Arthur was held at PG 85 Tuturano until 20th August '42, then he was moved to the transit camp PG75 at Bari for 2 months before being sent on to a more permanent camp. This was Campo 70 at Montalbo. Arthur spent 7 months here before being transferred to a working camp, PG 146 (sub camp 9) at Massalengo in Northern Italy. Here he was employed as a Farm Labourer.

On the Italian Armistice in September 1943, Arthur and his camp mates held at the working camp escaped and a group of 10 other ranks (including Arthur) sought shelter which they received from a Giovanni Chioda. This man housed and fed the party of British O.R's for 2 weeks before Arthur and 3 friends were passed on to a Roman Catholic Priest, Father Roveda.

Father Roveda housed and fed the escaped POW's for a month and also supplied them all with crucially important civilian clothing. After this month of care, Father Roveda made contact with an Italian escape organisation who took over and arranged the safe passage of the escapers into Neutral Switzerland.

It is interesting (to me) to note that the Roveda surname derives from Hungary and the name meant that the person was literate. Numerous Hungarian families living in Austria immigrated to Italy and, once in Italy, these families with the surname 'Roveda' were forced to convert from Judaism to Catholicism. Not only did this religious conversion clearly work for Father Roveda to take up priesthood, but this forced conversion from Judaism may well have saved the lives of him and his family members in Italy.

Back to the story.... The Italian underground movement organised passage for Arthur and his comrades to a safe-house in a Commune called Asso in the Province of Como on the Border of Switzerland. From here, a Swiss man from Geneva named Guido Della Beffa guided the party over the border and to his house at Rue Grande 23, Geneva, Switzerland where he housed and fed the group for 5 days. They arrived in Switzerland on the 21st of October 1943.

Arthur George Hindes was held in Italy until he could be returned to England and he was discharged on the 29th of December 1944.

I was very happy to receive this interesting grouping relating to Arthur Hindes a few months back when the National Archives were closed and was so happy to find his MI9 Escape and Evasion report with its added detail. The grouping consists of Arthur's WW2 medal entitlement : 1939-45 Star, Africa Star, and War Medal along with his Army Pay Book. Without the Pay Book, there would be no way of identifying the medals so I am so grateful it was kept!

I hope that you have enjoyed this post; I have a LOT more to post over the Christmas leave period so stay tuned.

IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

Great ‘escape’ story instalment. I was interested by the actual size of the escape party. Ten is certainly a larger group to travel with and they seem to have been relatively lucky to meet people who were willing to cooperate with a group that large!

A great ‘home run’ group!

• 3 weeks later...

Up next is a rather nice group which has been very crudely mounted, I believe, by the recipient.

John Herbert Davison was born on the 26th of September 1919 and was a native of Newcastle, England.

Before the war, John worked as a Weighing Machine Apprentice and lived at 94 Hamilton Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne. He joined the Territorial Army on the 2nd of May 1939, joining the 124th Field Regiment of the Royal Artillery and became 907403 Gnr J H Davison RA.

On the outbreak of the second world war, John was mobilised with the 124th Field Regt RA and served with the British Expeditionary Force in France from Spring 1940 until they were evacuated on the 31st of May 1940 and returned to The UK.

John stayed with the regiment and went on to serve in the middle east,(Iraq and Syria), before moving onwards to Egypt and Libya.

John was captured with the regiment at Tobruk on the 20th of June 1942 and thus began his time as a Prisoner of War.

John was initially held at the Tarhuna Camp in Libya from the 27th of June to the 17th of October 1942. John listed the commandant, an Italian Black Shirt Officer, on his 'Black List' on the MI9 POW Debrief form with the following statement:

"Capitano Ronaldo Levite - Commandant of P/W Camp at Tarhuna, Libya between June and October 1942. His behaviour, while falling short of actual brutality, was particularly anti-British."

After his spell in Tarhuna, John and his companions were moved by sea to Italy. He was held at PG 68, Vertralle from the 24th of October 1942 to 2nd of Jan 1943 when he was moved for 4 months to PG 65 at Gravina and thence to a work camp in Foggia. 

This work camp was sub camp 8 of PG 132 which was located in Lucera. John was at this work camp from 1st of May 1943 until the 22nd of August 1943 when he was (luckily) injured and sent to Barletta. Barletta is located about an hour and a half drive south of Lucera.

John was in the hospital at Barletta at the time of the German airborne invasion. On the 11th of September 1943, Regiment 1 of the Fallschirmjager was ordered into Barletta to disarm the Italian troops based in the town. 

This was the first conflict between the German and Italian forces and a fierce battle commenced with both sides taking casualties. The next day, the German troops were reinforced with their number now totalling 1000 and air strikes were launched on Barletta resulting in further Italian casualties. 11 Italian community police officers and two street sweepers were picked up by the Germans, marched to the post office, and shot on the spot. One Police officer was wounded but the rest were killed.

John along with his companions held out at Barletta Hospital until the 23rd of September when he escaped and made his way south. He describes this in his MI9 interview:

"From Barletta Hospital, Walked south with some companions (names and units of these not known but they were last seen in U.K). He travelled on foot the whole way, receiving no assistance, and joined the Allied lines south of Barletta."

John had successfully escaped a very dangerous area with the Germans taking full control on the 24th; the day after the escape. He was subsequently sent back to The UK where he was retrained and re-deployed to North Western Europe earning himself the France and Germany Star.

Barletta town was later awarded both the Military and Civilian versions of the Gold Medal for Valour.

The citation for the military award reads as follows:

"On 8 September 1943, the garrison of Barletta, modestly armed, but supported by the spontaneous and effective support of the citizens, wanted to continue on the path of honor and loyalty to the homeland, strenuously opposing the fierce German units and inflicting considerable losses on them. Only on 12 September, after the arrival of overwhelming German reinforcements, the garrison, tried by the losses suffered and under the threat of the destruction of the city, was forced to surrender. The enemy troops, occupied Barletta, barbarously slaughtered 13 defenseless citizens in retaliation, who thus united their sacrifice to the valor of the military in a common yearning for freedom. The city of Barletta, a shining example of the virtues of the people of southern Italy, hands over to future generations the witness of the values resulting from the rebirth of the homeland and the conquest of democracy and peace. Barletta 8-13 September 1943."

The citation for the civilian award reads as follows:

"Occupied by German troops in the aftermath of the armistice, the city became the protagonist of a courageous and tenacious resistance. Subject of a ferocious and bloody reprisal, he counted numerous victims among the soldiers of the local garrison and the civilians who, helpless and exhausted by deprivation, were in many cases passed to arms on the place where they attended to their daily occupations. Splendid example of a noble spirit of sacrifice and love of country. 12 - 24 September 1943."

I am delighted to have acquired this brilliant group with the crucially named Territorial Medal as John was held in two new camps for my collection (PG 68 and PG132) and also John and his companions made a brilliant escape in a very dangerous position. I was shocked to learn about Barletta and the brave efforts made by the Italian people but I am glad to have furthered my knowledge of Italy in September 1943 and this is truly a case of 'The story is far more important than the medals'.

I have found photographs of the victims of the barbaric massacre at Barletta in their final moments and will add these to the post. May they rest in peace.

IMG_2026.jpg

vigili_urbani_e_netturbini_12_settembre_1943.jpeg

vigili_urbani_trucidati.jpeg

i_netturbini_trucidati.jpeg

Edited by POWCollector

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the delay in posting - Ive had a hectic few months in which i've bought a large amount of new and exciting groups! 

L/Cpl G Lindsay enlisted into the Durham Light Infantry in 1938 and was given the service number 4456581. On the outbreak of war he was placed into the the newly formed 10th battalion of the 70th infantry brigade of the 23rd (Northumbrian) Division. In his civilian life, he worked as a lorry driver.

Lindsay was serving in France when he was captured on the 20th of May 1940. His MI9 Debrief takes up the story:

"I was taken prisoner near Doullens on 20 MAY 40 when my platoon was ambushed. We were taken by lorry to Amiens. Here ten days later I was able to break away and make my way through Bourlogne, Etaples, Calais, and Frevent to St Sauveur where i found shelter for three months.

On 30 Sep, I crossed the Somme and went to Paris where I spent a month. I was then given a lift to Libourne, where I crossed the line into unoccupied France. At Perigueux I was arrested and sent to Marseilles, from where I got away in Dec 40. I crossed into Spain and spent nine weeks there in concentration camps before my release and repatriation."

Lindsay left Gibraltar on the 11th of March and was interviewed by Lt Col Anstruther on the 19th of March 1941. He was subsequently awarded the Mention in Despatches for his escape which featured in the London Gazette on 15JUL41.

Further research undertaken by myself has unearthed that Lindsay escaped from France into Spain with 3x others. These were: Sgt F Nicholson Wiltshire Regiment, Cpl H Radford, and a civilian Mr O'Connell. The date they set off from Marseilles was 22DEC40. 

The group crossed the frontier at Collioure, were arrested, and taken to Figueras later being transferred to Miranda Del Ebro. Miranda was the largest of roughly 200 concentration camps in Spain during the war years and conditions were awful. Much more insight into Miranda can be gained by visiting the following page: https://ww2escapelines.co.uk/article/miranda-de-ebro-spanish-concentration-camp/

Lindsay subsequently transferred to The Royal Engineers as a driver and returned to action with service in North West Europe during 1944 and 1945. After the war was won, Lindsay formed part of the British Army of The Rhine and was based in Germany until May 1946 when he returned to his civilian life.

I am very happy to finally have a Miranda Del Ebro Escapers group. Lindsay and his comrades would have endured many hardships in the perilous trek over the Pyrenees Mountains in the exceptionally harsh winter conditions that the late December crossing would have brought. 

Along with Lindsays 1939-45 star, France and Germany Star, and War Medal with MID, I have a number of original documents from his time with the BAOR, a Mixed Service Organisation (BAOR) cap badge and a couple of photos so this is a really nice and complete grouping.

Hope you enjoyed, much more to follow!

IMG_3342.jpg

On 19/11/2020 at 01:05, POWCollector said:

My Apologies for the long delay in posting, but the national archives closure has meant that research has been impossible since March!

However, I have a fantastic new medal in the collection which does not require much more research and I will share it now.

2752522 Sgt David Reid of the Black watch enlisted in 1928 with his civilian profession being listed as a miner.

He was serving with the 51st Highland Division in France in June 1940 when he was captured. His MI9 POW Debrief takes up the story below:

"I was rather badly wounded on 12 June 1940 and was with other casualties, in a truck making for St. Valery En Caux when we came under fire. I managed to crawl into a big clump of nettles and lost consciousness. Two hours later, I woke up in a German C.C.S. While I was lying there, a German kicked me on the head. The same man shot and killed two men of my regiment; L/Cpl Horne, who was wounded and Pte Glenn who had surrendered and was unarmed.

The next day we were moved to Forges-Les-Eaux and three weeks later to a hospital at Rouen, where I remained until I was taken, on 2 April 1941, to the Val-De-Grace hospital in Paris, by way of St Quentin.

On 13th April 1941, I escaped from the hospital in civilian clothes by climbing down from a window by means of sheets tied together. Once clear, I made for an address furnished me by helpers. Sgt Gare of my battalion was with me, but we parted company separately.

From Paris, I was taken to a small village by car (16 APR) and then went by train with a guide to Tours (17 APR) where I received instructions to walk 25kms to Montrichard. Halfway my wounds began to trouble me and Sgt Gare went on. A farmer picked me up and he took me to his house at Les Ouches and the same night took me over the demarcation line, the river Cher, in his boat. 

I managed to crawl up the far bank unobserved, although there were German sentries on both banks. Three days later (20 APR) I was arrested by the French at Louches where I was interrogated by a Captain, who later secretly got me out of my cell and took me in his car to Chateauroux, giving me 300 francs before he left me.

I was then guided to Marseilles but was then taken to St Hippolyte Du Fort. Later I was passed by the medical board, with 26 others, and left on 31 July for Spain and so home."

David made his way to Spain successfully and into Gibraltar which he left on the 1st of October 1941 arriving in Gourock, Scotland on the 6th of October 1941. He spent some time in hospital in Edinburgh and was medically discharged from the Army.

Interestingly, David's interview report has an Appendix A - List of Helpers. This field is noted 'Distribution: MI6'. 

Reputedly, Reverend Donald Caskie, The Tartan Pimpernel, sent one of his contacts to the Hospital in Paris and gave the men the address of helpers. Donald Caskie then met David Reid in Marseilles and assisted him with the medical board.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Reverend Donald Caskie, I implore you to research him - The Tartan Pimpernel is a very good book and accessible on kindle for half price on amazon at the time of writing!

This is a very special medal (despite it being a duplicate issue) as the story is fantastic and I am thrilled to have bought it.

David Reid clearly had a tough time during his short war. He was severely wounded, he was mistreated by the German soldier whom he saw murder his comrades and he spent time 'on the run', fending for himself. Through grit and determination he managed to escape captivity and made his way home in just 6 months, a very short time indeed.

Thanks for reading.

Reid MM.jpg

Reid MM 2.jpg

I have recently upgraded my Findmypast account to include Newspaper Archives and I am so happy I have as I have found not one but two pictures of David! Regulars of this thread know how much I love having a face to the name!

The first shows a picture of David prior to capture along with one of his brother who it turns out was also a POW!

The second is outside the gates of Buckingham Palace after having collected his MM!

10207901-E68A-4F59-BE11-9CFEFEE3AE4A.jpeg

6D282209-3129-4658-93A4-E46A226BAE58.jpeg

Next up is a group that I took a researching gamble on and sadly have come up short. That being said, I am nevertheless delighted to have the group in my care.

Robert Allan Campbell McClure was born on the 24th of February 1907. He was educated at Harrow School. His father, James, was a Physician.

Robert was commissioned into the 8th Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders at the start of the Second World War and was sent out to France with the BEF, forming a part of the 154th Highland Infantry Brigade but was fortunately evacuated before the Germans could capture the rest of the 51st Highland Division at St Valery. Robert promoted to Lieutenant in February 1941.

Moving with his unit to North Africa, Robert was captured on the 2nd of November 1942. I have not been able to find out the circumstances of his capture so if anybody can help me on this that would be brilliant!

Robert would have been held in North African for a short while before being shipped over to Italy. It was whilst he was in Italy that Robert was awarded the Mention in Despatches for his services in North African.

Robert was sent to PG35 at Padula, the most luxurious and picturesque of camps in Italy (see photo) which was an old monastery. In August 1943 with an invasion looming, the POW's were moved north to PG 19 at Bologna. On the armistice on 8th September 1943, there was a delay in releasing the POWs which allowed the Germans to surround the camp. When the POW's tried to escape through the main gate, the Germans opened fire forcing the majority of the POW's back into the camp.

Robert was subsequently entrained for Germany and spent the rest of the war at Oflag 12b at Hadamar. Whilst at Hadamar, Robert would have been incarcerated with the 2nd Earl Haig before his transfer to Colditz castle; Haig was sent to Colditz in late 1944 and held as a prominente prisoner owing to his father First Marshall The Earl Haig.

Oflag 12B was liberated on the 26th of March 1945 by the Americans and Robert made his way home. He passed away in 1992.

I have been lucky to acquire Roberts ww2 service medals and miniatures along with a crucially named Harrow School gym champion medal dated 1925. I have also been fortunate to discover a photo of Robert with the 8th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers prior to embarkation for North Africa. Robert is back row, far right.

IMG_2992.PNG

IMG_2993.PNG

IMG_2875.JPG

PG35 Padula.jpeg

A nice little group. I’ve not seen the Harrow medal before; it’s quite elaborate. It’s always great to put a face to a name! It’s too bad here wasn’t able to escape. 

On 12/12/2015 at 14:42, POWCollector said:

Next up is my final post , (for now!)

This post is about Norman Frederick Gresty who served with the Royal Signals and Later the Royal Army Pay Corps.

2576624 Signalman N F Gresty was Captured on the 15th of December 1941 in North Africa.

Under the Brief Circumstances of Capture section of his MI9 Escaped POW report, he writes;

"The Field Regiment to which I was attached fought for 4 days against the Germans until running out of ammunition. We were then surrounded and taken prisoner."

After his capture, Norman was held in Benghazi (Presumably in one of the infamous cages) until the 22nd of December 1941. From there he was moved to Tripoli arriving on Christmas Eve and he was Moved on Boxing day of 1941. From there, he was sent to Capua (7/1/42 - 28/1/42), Servigliano (29/1/42 - 28/5/43) and from here he was moved to his final destination, Camp 146 at Pavia where he was held from the 29th of May 1943 up until the 9th of September 1943 when he made his escape following the Italian Capitulation.

Of his escape, he write the following;

"After the Armistice, we were released by the Italians and hid about the farm on which we had worked. For 3 weeks we were fed by the people of Virano. Early in October, we met a Civilian who offered to take us to Switzerland. The organisation guide met us at Virano and we walked to Vidigolfo when we were picked up by a Fiat Van and taken to Milan. At 17:00 hours we left Milan by train for Como where we hid in the house of a man from the Argentine, who was the Managing Director of Kodaks in Italy. We stayed the night here and were then guided over the mountains to the Swiss Frontier at Chiasso. The Journey was accomplished in 2 days"

After this, he wrote about three helpers. The first was Luigi from Virano, Pavia who Brought food, provided civilian clothes and gave information about German movements in the area. The other helpers listed were Carla and Angela also from Virano and Guiseppe from Lanoso, Pavia. Carla, Angela and Guiseppe also Gave food, Clothing and information of German Movements in the area. 

Norman never knew the Surnames of those who helped him, presumably to help protect them in the eventuality of capture. The Italian people risked torture and death for helping allied prisoners to escape and they were very brave in doing so.

Signalman Norman Gresty arrived in Switzerland on the 14th of October 1943 and would have arrived back in England at the end of 1944.

I think this is a particularly nice group as he mentions how the Regiment fought until all ammunition was exhausted before Surrendering and I really like that he was helped by the resistance 'The Organisation' as well as other Civilians and the fact that he made the journey by Van, Train and on Foot. A very commendable escape!

FullSizeRender (11).jpg

Hi John,

Thanks for the post, Unfortunately i've just done the final post for the time being, but i am sure that there will be more coming in soon!

Looking forward to your next pow post too!

Rob

I have found two newspaper articles relating to Norman Gresty. The first picture is pre-capture and I believe the 2nd photo is one taken as a prisoner. Great to put a face to the name! I also didn’t know that Norman had previously served in the Norwegian campaign!

B5B2C5B9-7864-4ED8-ABF6-20E114F04D06.jpeg

36D0D6FA-2C2F-4BE0-BBB9-0A6855C9409F.jpeg

On 24/01/2019 at 16:54, POWCollector said:

The most recent addition to my collection is the sort of group that Prisoner of War Collectors can only dream about and i'm ecstatic to have it in my possession.

Jean Tarrade was born on the 9th of February 1908 in Auxerre, France. In 1928 at the age of 20, Tarrade enlisted into the French Army at Angouleme.

Now a Captain, Tarrade was heavily involved in the Battle's of Belgium and France in 1939 and 1940 and was awarded the Croix de Guerre avec Palme for his service. The citation reads:

'Company Commander, extremely active and excellent technician. Always spent countless hours, especially on 24 May 1940 in Trith-Saint-Leger, during violent attempts by the enemy to cross the Scheldt Canal. Has demonstrated the same qualities of energy and courage in Haubourdin, when encircled by the enemy from the 28th to the 31st of May 1940.'

Tarrade was captured in early June 1940 and was transported to Germany arriving on the 8th of June 1940. He clearly didn't approve of being a prisoner of the Third Reich and proved to be troublesome to his captors. He escaped from captivity three times in 1940 and 1941 but was recaptured every time. For this, he was transferred to OFLAG IV-C also known as COLDITZ CASTLE where he would have arrived in the first batch of French officers in early 1941.

Not much is known about Tarrade's time at Colditz Castle at this point but I am sure he would have been active in scheming escapes, 'goon baiting' and assisting other prisoners in escaping. 

In May 1943, the German high command decided that Colditz was only to hold British and American prisoners. In June, the Dutch officers were transported to different camps followed by the Belgians, Poles and lastly the French who left on the 12th of July 1943.

Captain Tarrade was transferred to Oflag X-C at Lubeck. Here he organised and led a resistance group. His Legion d'honneur recommendation takes up the story in more detail.

'This Magnificent Officer was wounded and mentioned in 39/40 for his beautiful driving under fire during the Campaign of Belgium and Flanders. Barely recovered from his wound, he rejoined his Regiment to repress the fight. Taken prisoner in June 1940, he fought to regain his freedom. Escaped 3 times in 1940 and 1941 and was taken again. To re-pay his brave attitude, he endured 44 months of fortress, reprisals camps including 51 solitary confinement cell days over his 60 months of captivity. He Took the command of the Franc Group of Resistance Movement of Lubeck Prison Camp and his participation at the head of this Group was with the taking of the weapons of the guards, at the capture of Lubeck Port, making prisoners and capturing weapons and Ammunition.'

The 'fortress' camp referenced is Oflag IV-C, Colditz Castle.

After the war, Jean Tarrade served with distinction in Tunisia and in South Vietnam. He was awarded a second Croix de Guerre for his actions. The recommendation is as follows:

'Ardent and dynamic officer - Adjutant Major of a battalion in operations, still voluntary for the difficult missions - Did not stop during hard fights by his Unit in the Sub-sector of BENCAT (Province of THUDAUMONT - South Vietnam) and demonstrated a remarkable course.

Was particularly distinguished in the combined operations "EMILE and JOSEPHINE "from 6 to 13 July 1949, and during specific actions in the regions of VINH HOA and the Forest of AN SON - At the head of elements of reinforcements, participated until the end of March 1950 effectively in the clearance of convoys and overture groups fallen in ambushes on the road at DAUTIENG and RF 13-A, during these attacks, and despite violent reactions adverse, fact prove of the most perfect contempt of danger.'

He retired as a Lieutentant Colonel.

His awards are as follows:

- Legion D'Honneur. 4th Class 'Officier'. 4th Republic issue circa (1946-1962)
    - Cross of War 1939 (Croix de Guerre). With 1 x Bronze Palm & 1 x 'Gold' Star
    - Cross of War for Overseas Theatres of Operations. With 1 x Silver Star citation emblem
    - Escapers Medal (Medaille Des Evades). With French Mint marks
    - Combatants Cross for Volunteers. Type II dated 1939-1945 & clasp
    - Combatants Cross (Croix Du Combatant). With French Mint marks
    - Colonial Medal. Type II with uniface suspension & clasp 'Extreme Orient'
    - Commmemorative Medal for Second World War 1939-1945. With clasp 'France'
    - Commmemorative Medal for Indochina 1945-1954
    - Medal for North African security operations (Medaille D'Afriqie Du Nord). With clasp 'Tunisie'
    - Wound Medal (Medaille Des Blesses). With red enamelled star on riband

Included with the medals were all of his medal award certificates, original recommendations, correspondence with the French POW escaper's association, liberation documents and many character letters from brother officers. A real archive.

I am over the moon to finally have a Colditz POW group in my collection and with such good provenance too!

Captain J Tarrade is listed in Pat Reid’s book ‘Colditz: The Full Story’ as being a member of the French contingent at Colditz.

tarrade medals.jpg

Jean Tarrade.jpg

tarrade 3.jpg

Tarrade 2.jpg

With thanks to a friend who has a copy of 'Les Indomptables' by General Le Brigant, I have uncovered some detail about 2 of Jean Tarrade's escapes..

The first was in Jean's camp prior to arriving at Colditz. The translation of the book reference states "09/12/1940 -  Tried to leave with a group of wounded and ill prisoners being repatriated."

The second of Jean's escapes listed in this book goes as follows:

"22/12/1942 - Attempted to escape in a double door vehicle." - This is particularly important as this is a date that Jean would have been at Colditz!!! 

One day, I hope to find out even more about Jean Tarrade and the escape attempts made by him, but for now, I am very grateful to have found out about these two.

• 2 weeks later...

G’day Rob,

Two great groups you’ve shared, the escaper is of particular interest as I have to imagine he’s one of the earlier escapers I’ve ever seen! I’m often surprised at the poor treatment they received in Spain, the treatment received often seems significantly worse off than what they had received in Europe.

I’ve been slack with checking in, I’ve completed a few write ups recently myself and shall get them up!

Cheers, Tom

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, Up next is one of my favourite additions in my collection - an extremely rare POW 'Train Jumper' from PG 52 Chiavari.

Evelyn Nurden Bradford was a regular soldier who prior to the war served as a Corporal in the 1st Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters. Bradford was serving in North Africa where he was taken prisoner at Knightsbridge Box on the 6th of June 1942. 

Bradford described his capture as follows:

"Out of ammo and no possible replacement. We went in as reinforcements to 22nd Armd Bde with 6 pounders but as we ran out of ammo, and there was no means of escape by the afternoon of 6.6.42, we were surrounded and taken prisoner".

Bradford was held in North Africa for 5 months before being shipped over to Italy. He was held in the following camps:

Tarhuna - 14.6.42 - 6.7.42

Suani ben Adem - 6.7.42 - 16.8.42

Castel Benito - 16.8.42 - 29.9.42

Trig Tarhuna - 29.9.42 - 9.11.42

He was then shipped to Campo 98 at Palermo, Sicily where he stayed until the 10th of December 1942 when he was transported to PG 68 at Vertralla and thence to PG52 at Chiavari where he arrived on the 27th of December 1942.

When the armistice came on the 8th of September 1943, the camp leader ordered that nobody was to escape (as per the allied communications) but unfortunately the liberating forces were not quick enough and the Germans surrounded and captured the camp.

The prisoners were kept for a few days before being sent by cattle trucks to Germany in 2 consignments. Bradford left Chiavari on the 13th of September 1943. Whilst on the journey, Evelyn Bradford took matters into his own hands as described in the below:

"After the armistice, the camp was taken over by the Germans and we were put on the train for Germany. On the way we climbed out of a ventilator and jumped from the train whilst going through a tunnel at Savona near Genova. We got some civilian clothes from a house near the tunnel and went to Genoa the following morning. We came back to the area of the camp and hid up in the hills 5-6km from the camp. Here we stayed for 3 weeks and then I went to live in Genoa. After Genoa was raided, I was advised to go back to the hills, so went back for 5 weeks and on the 13th Dec I got in touch with an organisation.

I got in touch with the organisation near Chiavari on 13th Dec 1943 and we were taken to Genoa where we stayed the night. The next day, we were taken by train to Milan and then to Como where we stayed the night. Then we walked 3 days over the hills saying the nights in huts until we came to the frontier at Carenna on 18/12/43."

Bradford notes a man named Franco who sheltered him at 212 Bernadost, Genoa in October 1943.

This is a fantastic account of a brilliant escape from a German controlled POW train, however, the story gets better as I have done some digging and found an account of an escape partner. Please see below the account of Sgt Samuel Slack...

"Sgt. BRADFORD (4973158) Sherwood Foresters and myself escape from train approx. 4 miles South of Savona at approx 1830 hrs. Discover contadino's (tenant farmer) house isolated, exchange all personal possessions for two suits of civilians and 1 pair of shoes. Sleep here.

Sept. 14.    Left 0400 hrs travelling South on main coast road Savona - Genoa. Passed 3 road blocks, not halted. Seems to be a great deal of confusion. Arrive outside San Martino Hospital Genoa at approx. 1400 hrs. Rest one hour. Great movement of German troops into Genoa from all directions mostly horse transport. Left Genoa 1500 hrs. Exchange two bars of soap for one kilo of bread at STURLA. Arrive Bogliasco 2000 hrs. Road block and Curfew leave road for mountains. Slept out on top of mountains.

Sept. 15.    Entered Teriasca,  SORI - spoke to priest through interpreter given food and guide for road to Cicagna. Zone lousy with Carabinieri.

Sept. 16.    0700 hrs leave Teriasca pass through Canepa - Monte Becco – Cornua. Arrive 1000 hrs at Osteria Madonna del Bosco given food and drink. 1200 hrs arrive Lago Massina  enquire from old man road to Cicagna. Take main road to Gattorna. Hear car in rear travelling at high speed leave road hurriedly for River Bed. FORTUNATE. Car halts and two German S.S. descend commence to search road and surroundings for us. Stop and interrogate several Italians on road. We are sitting in a large pool of water in the river bed when they approach in our direction we submerge. Spend most uncomfortable 40 minutes in this manner. Car goes off and we take to the mountains.

Sept. 17,18,19. Live in thick wood. No confidence in Italians - food consists of green chestnuts and late tomatoes raided from allotments nightly Both suffering bad cold and touch of dysentery.

Sept. 20.    BRADFORD very ill but not to accost Italians again. 1600 hrs see an old man searching nearby for mushrooms. I accost him and ask him for food. Promises to go off and get some. Returns one hour later but cannot find us. Prudence the ruling factor we had moves positions. Assuring myself that he had returned alone I called him over. He had brought a goodly quantity of food and wine. At 2000 hrs leave with this man for USCIO.

Sept. 21 to Oct. 15.    stay at Uscio. Zone too hot to move in. Meet Primo Garavento of Calinara who introduces me to Conte Bianco (possibly a pseudonym- author's note). Latter offers to get us to Switzerland. Bradford accepts I refuse. I do not relish another prison or internment...

Oct. 17.   BRADFORD left for Switzerland. I travel by bus for Recco."

It is amazing to have found this much more detailed account of Bradford and Slack's escape and subsequent adventures. The part about having to submerge themselves in a river bed to hide from an SS search blew me away!

Sgt Samuel Slack left Bradford because he wanted to join the partisans and continue fighting in Italy which he achieved and valiantly fought alongside them for over a year taking part in countless raids. He eventually met up with the allied troops in February 1945! (below is a photo of Slack and 2 Italian Partisans).

I am delighted to have acquired Sgt Evelyn Bradford's 1918-1962 General Service Medal with Palestine clasp as this is named. I don't know the whereabouts of his ww2 entitlement and likely never will so I am very happy that the Palestine medal is named as issued.

For his escape from the Germans, Sgt Bradford was awarded a Mention in Despatches which has been attached to his Palestine medal ribbon. Perhaps this was done by Bradford whilst waiting for his ww2 entitlement to be issued or perhaps added at a later date.

I have been searching for a confirmed 'Train Jumper' group for years, largely due to my love of the 1969 film Von Ryan's Express which stars Frank Sinatra and Trevor Howard. (If you haven't seen it, watch it!). They are not all that common to find and rarer still to find an example with a named medal too. The added information from Sgt Slack's escape report makes this a much more interesting medal and I feel lucky to have unearthed this tale.

I hope that you have enjoyed this post, I have lots more to come when I can find the time!

Palestine Medal.jpeg

slack-and-2-partisan-fighters_1.jpeg